Hardy Butterflys or Angels

gamedawg

What is the hardiness of a Coral Beauty or Flame? I know there are many tanks with this fish, so let me know, Does it need ultra-perfect water? Is it one of the more hardy angels?
What are the most hardy of the Angels and Butterflys. I am deciding on the last fish for my tank, and my husband wants to try either another Butterfly or an Angel.
I am wary of the Butterflys, because we have tried the Pakistan, Threadfin and a Copperband, and none of them worked out. The Pakistana nd Threadfin got ick in my tank, even when no one else got it. The Copperband died for an unknown reason. He died the morning after I got him. The Pakistan we put into a hospital tank, and tried to save him for about a week, and he finally gave up. The Thread fin had it the day after we got him, and he only lasted for a day more.
I have NEVER had such a problem with fish, and do not ever want to go through all this again. That is why I ask about the most hardy angels or butterflys. I love both types of fish, and would love to have another, but is it possible without the heartbreak???
:notsure:

jon321

I would recommending going through http://www.wetwebmedia.com/. its one of the best marine resources on the web!
As for your question, the threadfin and pakistan butterflies youve already tried are about as hardy as butterflies go, sorry to say.
On the wetwebmedia "best butterflies for captivity" page, http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Goodchaetodon.htm , for threadfins it says "A great beauty and hardy aquarium specimen" and for pakistan butterfly it says, "A delicate looking species that fares well in general" I have never kept either of those species, but I have kept the dot-dash with great success. The copperband on the other hand is very delicate, wetwebmedia says, "Most die within a week or two of capture from trauma and starvation, dying "mysteriously" in the night". That page lists the 25 or so hardiest butterflies, none of which should pose a problem for a mature tank (6months+) if healthy specimens are purchased.
As for the angels, the flame and coral beauty are both good choices for a mature tank. Here is a link to "the hardiest angelfish" page of wetwebmedia, http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fi...estmarangs.htm . Depending on your tank size and inhabitants, there are also a number of hardy large angels, but all require tanks in the 75-150g range.
hope that helps,
Jon

unleashed

just out of curiousity all 3 fish came from same store?or online site?do you not get a garentee with your fish when purchasing them?

nicetry

Actually there are a few butterflies that can do well. The Pakistan (C. Collare) is not one of them, in spite of what some sites will tell you. I've never seen one of these fish do well long term, personally. An important factor not mentioned is whether or not you properly quarantined the fish first. Not doing so is risky for any fish, but more so with sensitive species.
Look at the Kleins, blackback, and if you want to spend some cash on a very nice butterfly, check out Tinkers, Declevis, Mitratus and Burgess. These are from the sub genus Roa, and are some of the hardier fish. More of a rough and tumble group of bf's that can hold their own.
As far as dwarf angels, many can do well given the right set up. Coral Beauty, flame, cherub, flameback, Lemonpeel,Eibli, to name a few.
What else is in the tank now?

gamedawg

Nicetry, it's true, I have looked online, ind lots of sites say that the Pakistan is hardy, but everyone with experience says otherwise. There is a guy named Randy that has been into salt and fresh fish for many many years, and he says he doesn't get Pakistans in because he knows they are only for experts. Maybe the way they get them is cyanide??? :notsure:
All 3 fish came from the same store, but I have gotten other fish from that same store that are still doing well.
I have a lion, panther, yellow tang, 2 damsels and a humu. All are great together. The tang used to swim with the trigger, until I put the panther in there, then they were best buddies, and now the tang just fights his reflection all day.

I think I'm going to put a Flame on my list of "the last fish" to choose from.
Here's my list of fish I have to sort through to pick my LAST FISH: (not in any order)
Flame Angel
Harlequin Tusk
Foxface
Dragon Wrasse

seastarr

Sorry to hear sbout your luck with butterflys, I must be lucky I find butterflys to be some of my easyest fish to keep, I am moveing every thing out of a 125 to have a butterfly species tank. :notsure: The one thing I do with butterflys is have a large colonie of live mices and glass roses in the tank when I bring in new butterflys. once they start feading most will eat just about anything they can get in there mouthes. You might try starting with bannerfish they are beginer easy and fun in a school.(3) :happyfish

gamedawg

See, I've heard that those aren't hardy either, those are the ones that was a buddy of Nemo in the movie right? The mostly yellow one?
I am upgrading my tank when I get my taxes, and I am seriously thinking about getting a lot of butterflys. I want to have some types of living inverts in there though, what do butterflys NOT eat? I will probably trade in my panther, and maybe my trigger (I love him though!) and get a Threadfin, a copperband, and another kind of butterfly.
Do butterflys eat feather dusters? What about Mushrooms? Are there any hardy coral type things that they don't like?

pfitz44

Arguably the most hardy butterfly is the longnose....
Dont remember one in finding nemo... here is a pic

gamedawg

Yup, that's the one. When Nemo went to school, there were three buddies of his, and this was one.
Okay, here is my list of fish I'd like, if anyone has owned them before, let me know how hardy/delicate they are, and how you liked them:
BTW, these are all butterflys:
Saddleback
Atlantic Longnose (not the same as the one above)
Blackback
Threadfin (aka Auriga)
Blacklip
Meyeri
Yellow Pyramid
Mertensii (aka Orangetail or Crowned Pearlscale)

nicetry

Originally Posted by Gamedawg
Yup, that's the one. When Nemo went to school, there were three buddies of his, and this was one.
Okay, here is my list of fish I'd like, if anyone has owned them before, let me know how hardy/delicate they are, and how you liked them:
BTW, these are all butterflys:
Saddleback
Atlantic Longnose (not the same as the one above)
Blackback
Threadfin (aka Auriga)
Blacklip
Meyeri
Yellow Pyramid
Mertensii (aka Orangetail or Crowned Pearlscale)

I keep a black back at present. Has been with me for 4 years. Very nice fish, good citizen, and ate from day one. Also kept a Mertens. Maybe a bit more fragile but if acclimated right can do well. Hardy is a relative term with these fish. Quarantine, have lots of live rock, no overly aggressive mates and feed them a good diet of meaty foods, and many can do well.