Harlequin Tusk Hiding Help

Steve Blum

2 days ago I moved my 6" HT to 120 G Display Tank mostly angels. When I chase him out he just finds a new hiding place. He has not eaten in DT yet. How long before he comes out and swims. Should I just Leave Him alone?

silverado61

He should eventually come out on his own. Try reducing the light intensity so that they're subdued. That might make him more comfortable and come out of hiding.

jay0705

If your worried about him eating try a few hermit crabs. Not nice I know but tusks love there shell fish lol

jay0705

This Tusk fish does not like crustaceans. I tried clam and scallops not much interest.
I agree w silver patients. I bet if you use a red light at night you would see it out. It takes them time to acclimate.
Now too your food, live food is totally different. Its literally what they eat., they have to to get accustom to our feeds. If your really worried it's not eating try some live ghost shrimp, hermits, even add a few snails. They have those teeth for a reason

Steve Blum

I agree w silver patients. I bet if you use a red light at night you would see it out. It takes them time to acclimate.
Now too your food, live food is totally different. Its literally what they eat., they have to to get accustom to our feeds. If your really worried it's not eating try some live ghost shrimp, hermits, even add a few snails. They have those teeth for a reason
Jay I thought about buying some ghost shrimp however they are hard to get and expensive on Internet. I am also worried that the other fish in DT would eat the Grass Shrimp before the Harlequin got out and chased them.

Steve Blum

Silverado. Just fed my fish. Dropped a piece of lobster in front of HT cave. He stuck his body out and I saw him eat the lobster. I guess if he is eating and I have some patience he will come out in a few days