Harlequin Tusk Hiding Help

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Steve Blum, Aug 12, 2018 at 1:46 PM.

1. Steve Blum

Steve Blum New Member

2 days ago I moved my 6" HT to 120 G Display Tank mostly angels. When I chase him out he just finds a new hiding place. He has not eaten in DT yet. How long before he comes out and swims. Should I just Leave Him alone?

2. silverado61

silverado61 Well-Known Member

He should eventually come out on his own. Try reducing the light intensity so that they're subdued. That might make him more comfortable and come out of hiding.

Steve Blum likes this.
  3. Steve Blum

Steve Blum New Member

Many Thanks Silverado61. I will be patient it is only two days since he has hid and not come out for food.

4. Steve Blum

Steve Blum New Member

Silverado61. Things are looking up Tusk came out for a few minutes before lights went out.

5. silverado61

Awesome! Things are looking up.

6. jay0705

jay0705 Administrator Staff Member

If your worried about him eating try a few hermit crabs. Not nice I know but tusks love there shell fish lol

7. Steve Blum

Steve Blum New Member

Dear Silverado 61. He has not come out to swim that I saw today and it is 10:30 AM. Perhaps it will take a while longer

8. Steve Blum

Steve Blum New Member

This Tusk fish does not like crustaceans. I tried clam and scallops not much interest.

9. silverado61

Some fish take 1-2 weeks to come out of hiding. Patience grasshopper.

10. jay0705

jay0705 Administrator Staff Member

I agree w silver patients. I bet if you use a red light at night you would see it out. It takes them time to acclimate.
    Now too your food, live food is totally different. Its literally what they eat., they have to to get accustom to our feeds. If your really worried it's not eating try some live ghost shrimp, hermits, even add a few snails. They have those teeth for a reason

11. Steve Blum

Steve Blum New Member

Jay I thought about buying some ghost shrimp however they are hard to get and expensive on Internet. I am also worried that the other fish in DT would eat the Grass Shrimp before the Harlequin got out and chased them.

12. Steve Blum

Steve Blum New Member

Silverado you give good advice. I put some shrimp and lobster just inside where he is hold up. I can't tell if he ate but the food was no where to be seen.

13. Steve Blum

Steve Blum New Member

Silverado. Just fed my fish. Dropped a piece of lobster in front of HT cave. He stuck his body out and I saw him eat the lobster. I guess if he is eating and I have some patience he will come out in a few days

jay0705 likes this.