Has your pufferfish puffed up?

lionstorm

Mine (4" porcupine puffer) never has and I've had him for almost 4 months soon. Even when we moved him with a clear plastic container and back he didn't puff. I know its a good thing because it means he isn't stressed out, but I kinda want to see him inflate :( don't worry though i'm not going to provoke him.

I

irenicus

My pork and my dogface puffed up. The dogface was incredible. I've only seen it once... what a treat :cool:

bullshark

I was a SCUBA instructor/divemaster in Ft. Lauderdale for almost 3 years. I was out on the boats diving everyday. I have seen hundreds of baloonfish(puffers, porkeypine fish, etc.) It takes quite a bit of coaxing to get them to puff up. You've got to basically press down on them like something is eating it before they will inflate. From what I understand, it is quite stressful. I feel bad now after getting all those poor guys to inflate. I would be worried if one puffed up unprovoked in an aquarium.
Dont flame me, I was young and stupid.

I

irenicus

Sometimes puffers do that "puff" for no reason whatsoever. Maybe it is synonomous with stretching.

grouperhead

I once saw a striped dogface puff up for no apparent reason. Like someone earlier stated, it may kinda be like stretching. It was a treat for sure. He only stayed that way for a few seconds, but it was an incredible sight. Bo

michaeltx

all my puffers puff up after a big meal. the most spectacular is the porkypine that I have seen though. great fishes.
Mike

bobo

yeah i agree puffers sometimes puff for no apparent reason. i've seen both my stars n stripe and dogface puff up. when they do it looks trully amazing. they get 4 or 5 times bigger than they were. i usually see them puff from a distance then i'd go to the tanks for a closer look. they don't like staying puffed for too long though apparently.

cincyreefer

Puffers have to puff up every once in awhile to keep their skin stretched enough. They typically do that when it is dark, although my golden puffer does it about once every other month after the lights come on.

murray bmf

My porky Puffer "puffs" up every month os so-for no apparent reason. Sometimes I look in the tank and he's puffed up. He stays like that for a second or two then deflates. It's always night time when he does it, and its usually dark.

sohotang

we have had our porky about 4 years she is about 15 inches long now and she puffs almost the same time every day and floats back and forth in the current then she goes down and acts normal again.:D

i work at my lfs. i was catching a porcipine that was about 2-3 inches long. it puffed up even though i was gentle. i had never had that happen before. sadly it popped and it left a gaping whole in its side :( . then it died.

michaeltx

thats why its best not to use a net but a jug or something to scoop them up with. the net has killed a lot of them that I know of. not a good combination.
Mike

lionstorm

my puffer looks like he partially puffs when he gets scared, he starts breathing fast like he is sucking in water and his sides move a little but then he chills and doesn't infalte.
If they do it at night that might be why I never see mine puff.
I'm not too unhappy that he hasn't puffed up though, would mean he isn't stressed.
My puffer is almost like a contortionist sometimes though, he bends and flattens himself around rocks very adeptly, anyone else ever notice this?