Hawaiian Spotted Puffer???

reef_dart21

i have did some research but would it do fine in a establish hard lps reef tank along with peacful community fish?
thx

michaeltx

probably wont mess with the corals but its still a possibility
it will however go after any ornamentals shrimp, smails etc.. and small fish
they are also very messy fish so water quality will suffer with him in there and that will effect the corals in the tank
Mike

reef_dart21

im just really wanting a puffer that will stay small enough that he cant bother any fish! Would a valiteni puffer stay small enough?

skipperdz

Hawaiian Blue Puffer Is The Way To Go They Dont Get Very Big, Not That Messy And Really Only Terrorize Snails/clams

itom37

Valentini and hawaiian blue spotteds are about the same size. I've heard of them in reefs, but I would not get too attached to any shrimp. Same for hermits, but they're pretty cheap so you can get more if you want them. No idea about corals.

slycoolman

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2467843
probably wont mess with the corals but its still a possibility
it will however go after any ornamentals shrimp, smails etc.. and small fish
they are also very messy fish so water quality will suffer with him in there and that will effect the corals in the tank
Mike
Yeah I've heard of this... I keep a puffer and a picasso in a tank with corals and inverts... so far the domino has been worse to the inverts than the puff & trig. According to Gregory Schiemer blue spot puffers are the safest of all puffers. Also don't know where you got the "messy fish" bit from TBH...

aquaknight

Do any of your guys blue spotteds 'pace the glass'? Like a tang in a small tank does, sort of rub their nose in a a semi-half circle repeatedly? I searched some vids on youtube and noticed another one doing it. It seems like his tank might be too small, a 55gal QT? He's only got a couple more days before the 4 week holding period is up. Just want to make sure everything is okay.

skipperdz

Yea Mine Does It, And He Lives In A 55g, Its A Fine Size Tank For Them. They Dont Do It All The Time But Now He's Paired Up With My Eibli Angel And They Go Everywhere Together...y I Dont Know...

aquaknight

Thanks the display tank is a 125. I wanted a spiny box (the only other puffer that I'd put in there) but decided to go with a toby for less bioload.
Is your 55 barebottom by any chance? I noticed mine scratch today. Or at least I think he did. In the QT tank I have a 25lbs of live rock that he hunts all morning for pods I guess
. Anyway some times he gets junk/crap from the bottom of the tank on his belly. I think this is what happened and he just wanted to get it off. I've had him for almost 4 weeks (2 days short) so his time in QT is up in 2 days. Just wanted to be safe before adding him to the display that he doesn't have Ich or anything.