Heater in HOB refugium

BradWatts

Should I try and place my heater in my aquafuge2 hob refugium or use it strictly as a refugium on my FOWLR tank? Just looking at all possible options to keep as much equipment as I can out of the tank.

lmforbis

you could if the flow is good. My concern would be over heating the small fuge. If you use a small heater, no more than 100W it could work. You want to have more than one heater. I hide mine behind the rocks.
Remind me what size tank this is. Are you in a warm climate? What temp do you keep your house at? I live in Minnesota so I need the heaters in the winter when my house is at <68 but the rest of the year I don't need heaters.

BradWatts

It's a 125G's. I have two 300w heaters but i guess I'll do as you do and hide them behind the rock work. Was just trying to keep my tank as clean as possible. I guess it will just be used as a refugium. I'm in Atlanta so in the summer the AC runs all the time and we rarely use a heater in the winter.

Last edited:

lmforbis

You probably don't need that much heat. I only run about 300W total, two heaters. The equipment, pumps, power heads, etc generate heat.
One of the reasons I like to paint the back of my tank black is the cords kind of disappear.