Heliofungia Plate feeding

sh4n

Hey guys. I used to own a Heliofungia plate coral and recently died. I have bought another one (pictures below) and want to make sure I dont do the same mistake. I think feeding was the reason it had died, my LFS sold me this "whole fish" which I cut in 1/4. I Defrost it by using my tank water. I place in the middle of the plate coral, his tenticles wrap towards it and slowly eats it. But after a few hours he spits it backs out and starts eating it again. (my last one spat most out and didnt eat it). can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?? should I try different food? I also feed marine snow

snakeblitz33

Bump
I stay away from long tentacle plates, I have found that they rarely are able to stay alive long term in captivity.
Maybe someone else here has some advice that we can learn from...

aquaknight

Plates don't in fact taken in all their sustenance from zooxanthellae, I think the figure is about 80% from zooxanthellae, 20% from food caught on their own. So they will need to be fed periodically.
If the plate is splitting out most undigested fish quarters, I wonder if maybe the food is a little "tough" for their relative simple digestive system to handle. Something like pieces of scallop, shrimp, or clam may be easier. Also, maybe overfeeding. How often do you feed the plate? Every other day? Once a week?

sh4n

my other plate (that died) i fed once a week. this plate ive only had for a week, i was planning on twice a week. he spat it out but re-ate it again which is good. my lfs said its the food he feeds with but ill try some alternatives that u said, thanks!