Hello! New again - Issue with something

charmcitymang

Was into the hobby 10 years ago or so but I never saw this.
IMG_3588.jpg

It happens every time i put my pump on feed mode and then turn it back on.

It started happening a few days ago. I started the tank 2/9. It looks like pieces of skin.

Its the first time i did a drill tank and made a sump.

lmforbis

No idea what the particles are probably just salts that have precipitated out in the sump. What kind of water are you using?

On another note, That that tank is not ready for fish let alone 4 fish. 10 days is not enough time for it to be fully cycled and ready to handle the waste of even one fish.

charmcitymang

They are not moving.

I thought it was a bit strange as well but I was told to put the 4 fish in to help it cycle. I used some Fluval cycle as well. The tank itself had been setup for a month with live water and sand before adding the fish.

I am using RODI water.

They do not wiggle, they are like flakes of skin after a sun burn. there are alot less today.

lmforbis

Glad to hear the tank was fishless for a while. In the future don’t take the advise of the fish store. One fish at a time is all we should add with at least two weeks between. The pair of clowns would be an exception because they need to be added together. Did you quarantine them. If not I’d suggest setting up a quarantine system for the future. Parasites are common in the wholesalers tanks. It just takes one infected fish to cause all kinds of issues.

I’ve seen things like this when the calcium carbonate precipitates onto the equipment in the sump especially the return pump. When it is turned of then back on it loosens it and shoots it into the tank. I’d say don’t worry about it.

lmforbis

Even filter sock that is not super fine will help catch it. I wouldn’t leave it permanently but it certainly would help in the short term. Just be sure to clean it frequently.

charmcitymang

Yeah the fish store told me not to quarantine as well. I am definitely setting up a quarantine. I listed to him because the tank was empty and thought maybe this time it was okay. I will not be adding anymore without quarantine first.

I do have a filter sock. I have made three 10% water changes at this point. did one extra today because I got a gasket to fix a leak.

The fish seem to be good. They seem hungry but I am trying to make sure I do not over feed.

The problem on the picture was actually better yesterday and today by itself. I did fish some out with a net.

one-fish

watching this too.. have similar issue when return pump starts back up after WC's my thoughts were detritus build up in return chamber of sump but what do I know... I now hold a net over return pipe to catch debris when pump restarts

charmcitymang

Mine went away evetnaully. Unsure why. I know the protein skimer is a little tricky. One day i thought it was tempty but it was full of clear water. Don't think that could do it though. Not with a filter sock on.