Help acclimating flame angel

Tsling07

I would very much appreciate any help anyone can give me to acclimate my Flame Angel to my main aquarium. I have a Coral Beauty in my tank and he is a bully. I know they are a similar genre and that's why they will fight. Any suggestions on how I can put the Flame angel in and keep the Coral Beauty?

I have had them to peacefully coexist in the past but the Coral Beauty has been in the tank for several months and the Flame Angel is new.

Any help would be very much appreciated..

How big is your display tank? Dwarf angels can be pretty territorial and can get aggressive towards other dwarf angels. This is more pronounced if the tank is small. If you put them together, there is a risk that they will never get along.

That being said, you can sometimes reduce aggressive behavior when adding fish by adding the new fish with the lights off. I sometimes add to or rearrange the rock structures when adding new fish in order to reduce territorial claims on established hiding spots. When I do this, I make sure to create more hiding spots than were available before.

I've also read accounts of people using a mirror to distract the established aggressive fish while the new fish settles in, but I haven't tried that method.

lmforbis

I would very much appreciate any help anyone can give me to acclimate my Flame Angel to my main aquarium. I have a Coral Beauty in my tank and he is a bully. I know they are a similar genre and that's why they will fight. Any suggestions on how I can put the Flame angel in and keep the Coral Beauty?

I have had them to peacefully coexist in the past but the Coral Beauty has been in the tank for several months and the Flame Angel is new.

Any help would be very much appreciated..
Unlikely to be successful.

Tsling07

How big is your display tank? Dwarf angels can be pretty territorial and can get aggressive towards other dwarf angels. This is more pronounced if the tank is small. If you put them together, there is a risk that they will never get along.

That being said, you can sometimes reduce aggressive behavior when adding fish by adding the new fish with the lights off. I sometimes add to or rearrange the rock structures when adding new fish in order to reduce territorial claims on established hiding spots. When I do this, I make sure to create more hiding spots than were available before.

I've also read accounts of people using a mirror to distract the established aggressive fish while the new fish settles in, but I haven't tried that method.
Thanks for the reply. My main display tank is 90 gallons with a lot of live rock. The problem is my Flame Angel just likes to hang out in the open water and the coral beauty chases him all over the place. I actually put him back in my quarantine tank to give him a break. I tried it with the lights off and he still hassled him. I just used the blue lights for a couple of days to possibly reduce the aggression. That didn't work either. I will try the mirror trick. Thanks for the advice.
One other question... My coral beauty has a long string of poop coming out of him that clings to him. Does that mean he possibly has internal parasites? It is green, not white so I'm not sure.

That could be a parasite. If you’re worried about parasites, I would start by soaking the food in garlic extract and adding a vitamin supplement like Zoe.

Keep in mind that there are as many opinions on using garlic as there are people keeping fish, but, from what I’ve read, it was first used as a way to treat puffers for internal parasites. From there, people started using it to treat other things (like ICH—cryptocaryon). It is generally thought to be useful in boosting immune systems and appetites. It is a good place to start if you aren’t seeing any more serious signs.

Incidentally, I would not use garlic as the main treatment for ich. I prefer the hyopsalinity method for that (following the advice of other, more experienced, people on this forum).

There is a ton of info on the web related to using garlic, so look into that and judge for yourself.

If you do see more serious signs of trouble, I would put the fish in quarantine and treat with prazipro.

As for keeping the two angels together, the first one may be too established to accept the other.

Tsling07

That could be a parasite. If you’re worried about parasites, I would start by soaking the food in garlic extract and adding a vitamin supplement like Zoe.

Keep in mind that there are as many opinions on using garlic as there are people keeping fish, but, from what I’ve read, it was first used as a way to treat puffers for internal parasites. From there, people started using it to treat other things (like ICH—cryptocaryon). It is generally thought to be useful in boosting immune systems and appetites. It is a good place to start if you aren’t seeing any more serious signs.

Incidentally, I would not use garlic as the main treatment for ich. I prefer the hyopsalinity method for that (following the advice of other, more experienced, people on this forum).

There is a ton of info on the web related to using garlic, so look into that and judge for yourself.

If you do see more serious signs of trouble, I would put the fish in quarantine and treat with prazipro.

As for keeping the two angels together, the first one may be too established to accept the other.
Thanks for the advice. I have been using garlic extract and Selcon for my fish. I use it on their food and when I feed them seaweed in a clip. I think the combination of the two has really kept my fish healthy. If I can catch him, I was going to put him in my isolation tank and treat him with General Cure. I may put him in there anyway and let my flame angel get established in my main aquarium.