Help!!! Any advice or comments would be very helpful!

jussery17

Well the ammonia was really really high and the owner of the fish store that I trust said don't waste money on all kinds of different things or more bacteria but to just get this little $2 bottle of stability and that would help the high ammonia level so it didn't kill the bacteria...also I have a bag of argorite sand and just walked in the door with a bag of top fin crushed coral that regulates and maintains the pH it says on the bag....and I was also told on here by staff that crushed coral is beneficial for the bacteria that's in the tank vs sand and the bacteria...so I know I didn't just waste my money right? Or is crushed coral just something you guys don't like?

jussery17

Ok well I guess I will keep it bc I only paid $5 for it and can at least use it to put some in my filter if I need to raise the pH?

lmforbis

Stability is bacteria. No better than dr Tims and maybe not as good because it claims to work with fresh and salt.

jussery17

Going to get some actual live rock tomorrow as well with some more dry rock tomorrow but was told since I have a matrix bag that came with my Tidal 110 filter that would be more than enough for the bacteria to colonize...I looked in the filter and can see soooooo much stuff all in that bag and not just the rocks I mean bacteria lol

Attachments

jussery17

thanks for all for all the help...really appreciate you all helping thru this annoying waiting process haha

jussery17

I know Imforbis, you told me to get the dry rock of this but is this a good "live rock" to get? It looks like it's very pourus and great color! What's anybody's experience in dealing with this company?

Attachments

jay0705

Its good rock but you will get some die off from shipping. So don't be surprised if your ammonia spikes again. This is fine bc you don't have live stock yet

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Surely crushed coral is beneficial in some ways!! It looks good mixed with sand in posts I've seen
Let me explain. Crushed coral is made from coral that has been smashed up in to tiny pieces. Those pieces are very sharp and totally detrimental to any sandbed organism, including fish that like to burrow. Also, it does tend to trap detritus within its sandbed because its coarse shapes hinder it from compacting. This results the bed's inability to form an anaerobic environment which, in turn, stunts denitrification. CC beds = Very High Nitrates. Nitrates are a waste product not desirable in marine tanks.

The goal is to establish a marine system that is free of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. To accomplish that it is best not to be constantly battling poor water quality because we have equipment and other items (such as CC) in our system which obstructs our efforts to establish a healthy marine environment in our tanks.

Now in some systems, a tad of nitrates is unavoidable just because of the nature of the type of tank being set up, but, with CC nitrates will soon go off the charts in a fish tank.

jussery17

Well thanks for the info. I just went Head and added my bag of sand and put the crushed coral bag up ....I just tested for today and my ammonia is about .5 ...my nitrites are at 5.0...Nitrate are 15ish
Hopefully nitrite levels begin to drop to 0 soon I'm ready for fish