Help for a beginner

jfrazier

I have a 29 gallon tank running for 3 years with little or no problems but now all the sudden my fish and snails have all died. All tests have come out just fine. I also have noticed that on areas of my live rock there are areas that are of a vivid green color. My last question is I currently have a cc base instead of live sand how does one go about changing over to live sand? :help:

mcsd22

Sounds like some sort of toxin was intoduced to have everything die and all water parameters are good. I would tear it all down and clean tank and replace with sand. I would also scrubb the rock with saltwater and rince it in new salt water and replace all the water and let it cycle from scratch.

jfrazier

Thank you for your help I was thinking on the same lines but was hoping there was an easier answer HA! HA! HA!

jfrazier

Thank you for your help. Do you have any suggestions on where to get good live sand? When scrubbing the live rock how will I know that everything is scrubbed? I must sound like a complete ioiot!

dmjordan

Originally Posted by jfrazier
Do you have any suggestions on where to get good live sand?
You can check at your LFS or you can buy LS from this site.

dr. evil

Originally Posted by dmjordan
You can check at your LFS or you can buy LS from this site.
yeah what he said.
no you dont sound like an idiot at all. none of us was born marine biologist. dont be afraid to ask questions thats how most of us learn.

mcsd22

I would get the sand from this site if you dont have anything close to you. As far as scrubbing the LR I would scrubb it down really good and rinse it in fresh water. Also when you start back up I would make sure to filter with charcoal for a good while to make sure the water is clean.