Help new tank

Blink01

Hey I'm new to the hobby have a 75g been up for 4 weeks now fishless cycling but only ammonia trading 4ppm for about a week now. I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong. Staring to bite my nails I used pure ammonia from ACE. I've keep the ammonia up to 3ppm test kit liquid API testing daily. Water up to 84 ph closer to 8. What should I be doing if anything I don't want to get fish and harm them. Thanks.

lmforbis

How much rock do you have. You need adequate surface area for the bacteria to colonize. You could add more actual live rock, or add some Bottled bacteria like Dr Tims. Don't add any more ammonia. Just wait for the levels to fall. It will happen. Once ammonia falls you might start to ghost feed to maintain the bacteria that breaks down the ammonia. It takes time.

one-fish

Definitely LR for surface area to colonize bacterias that breakdown ammonia nitrites nitrates Patience is a must. You don't have to get all LR, you can use mostly base rock and seed it with the LR but it takes longer. Test water regularly during cycling when nitrite levels zero wait about a week retest do a 30-40% WC add CUC or livestock do not overload your biological capabilities,, go slow.

beaslbob

FWIW using live macro algae will prevent ammonia spikes, stabilize, balance out the tank, while returning o2 and fish food.

my .02