Help the college student get an A...

RisingFishhead

Im a Fisheries and Aquaculture student at SUNY Cobleskill in NY. For my project I am taking care of a 200gal tropical saltwater tank in our state of the art facility on campus. Im starting from scratch ( just water and gravel ) my professor wants a variety of easy to take care of and hardy organisms, from fish to inverts, that are able to coexist happily. The budget I was given is no more than $200. Where do I start?

2quills

$200 will get you 2-3 buckets of salt to get started.

You need to consider filtration, flow, heater, test kits, lighting, maintenance and water change equipment etc. It's a pretty long list and these are just a few of the basics.

RisingFishhead

$200 will get you 2-3 buckets of salt to get started.

You need to consider filtration, flow, heater, test kits, lighting, maintenance and water change equipment etc. It's a pretty long list and these are just a few of the basics.
Already have all the basics needed...we are a well established fish hatchery (cold freshwater fish) we have a room just for tropical saltwater fish (has about 30 5 gal tanks, 4 200gal tanks and 2 20gal tanks).

one-fish

$200...for fish and inverts w/established tank maybe...but water and gravel only tank not cycled that's a challenge....What is your time schedule on your project

RisingFishhead

$200...for fish and inverts w/established tank maybe...but water and gravel only tank not cycled that's a challenge....What is your time schedule on your project
Its a semester long project. As of right now there is a single grouper in the tank ( he is being moved into one of the classroom tanks) hence making it a vacant tank for me to build. i believe there is already live rock established in the tank.

jay0705

Define gravel?? I hope you mean sand. Where can/ will you get your live stock from? Being upstate ny i would think you should have lfs in the area.

one-fish

Do research on the hardy/captive breed fish Vacant tanks can't stay vacant long need the detritus to feed the biological bacteria present. Inverts pretty easy a good CUC w/snails and hermits again research

dangerfish

I suggest looking at reef compatible fish on *********** im sure you'll find some reef friendly fish ideas their and don't forget to get a cleaner crew. http://www.***********.com/

for inverts get a lot of snails hermit crabs and a few type of shrimp like a cleaner shrimp or a peppermint shrimp

beaslbob

Hopefully that $200 does not also include that tank. LOL

By using diy salt mixes, inexpensive lights (even shop lights or natural sunlight), common play sand, locally available limestone, and no water changes, it can be done.

One key IMHO is to insure the tank is balanced out and stabilized with macro algae in a refugium (like an in tank partition). Start the tank and get the macros thriving. then use a common FW molly slowly acclimiated to saltwater and don't add food for a week. then start very light feedings. After 2-3 weeks then introduce the marine only type fish.

Let us know how it works.

BTW these types of methods were used long before we had all the really expensive filters, lights, skimmers and so on.

niandors

How can we help you? It is quite difficult to find such an aquarium on such a modest budget. Personally, I see such a solution, you can concentrate on your studies and visit this useful resource, where you will find information about freedom of speech, this will improve your knowledge and perhaps help you find a job in the future.

Last edited: