help with angels

krebs11

Hey guy I need some help to figure out what is wrong with my angel. I have a majestic and to me it looks like in different spots on his body looks like white things are hanging off him, doesn't to me look like ich and it is also on his eye. I had a emperor and it died. First his eye got covered in white stuff and then started loosing scales behind his gills and his fins rotted off and stopped eating and passed away. Maybe this is the same thing my majestic is getting. None of my other fish have anything just having problems with the angels. I treated the tank for 2 weeks with paragaurd. Don't seem like it helped. Also there is no way I could get the fish out to quartine it because he won't let me come close. I have a 220 gallon with 400 pounds of live rock.

krebs11

8.0 pH which I just put some booster in, 0 amonia, 0 nitrites, 40 nitrates but hey should be down now just did a water change. I feed them brine shrimp, blood worms, spectum, seaweed strips and also I feed my puffer shrimp and the clean up what he doesn't eat and I usually mix the food with garlic and vitamins

beth

Administrator
Staff member
In my exp, high nitrates is not healty environment for tangs and angels. What size tank? Why are the nitrates so high?

pegasus

It's not uncommon for one fish to have cloudy eyes without the other fish being affected. If those are raised white spots, and not lesions, then it's quite possibly Ick... which will infect the entire tank. I have treated a clownfish with a cloudy eye and ick in the DT with Melafix, and it cured both issues. It stinks, but it doesn't seem to affect anything when used as directed.

krebs11

I dunno why my my nitrates are high for well I guess there not to high. 40ppm it us a 220 gallon I think it looks more like
lymphcyctis maybe. He's has it for a few weeks now if it was ich shouldn't it have transferred to the other fish by now?

pegasus

I dunno why my my nitrates are high for well I guess there not to high. 40ppm it us a 220 gallon I think it looks more like
lymphcyctis maybe. He's has it for a few weeks now if it was ich shouldn't it have transferred to the other fish by now?
It depends. Once the ick parasite falls off the fish, it attaches to substrate (sand, rocks, plants, etc.) where it goes through a reproductive stage. Once it completes this cycle (usually takes around 3 weeks), it looks for a host (fish). Many healthy fish are able to resist Ick, which is why it's most common on new, stressed fish with weakened immunity systems.

One thing to consider, though... if the angel has been in the tank for at least a couple of months, there have been no new additions to the tank, and there was no sign of Ick before, then it's most likely not Ick. Ick can't live much more than a month without a host. Looking back, I realize I should have asked how long you've had the fish, and have you added anything new to the tank lately.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I blew up that pic and it looked like lymp to me. I'd suggest working on the nitrates. What filters do you have? In the meantime, start offering the fish either zoecon or selcon supplement. Have you tested your source water to be that the nitrates are not in the water?

krebs11

Yes hes been in there like 2 months. I did put a purple tang in there a week after i put him in. But no signs of ich from any of my other fish. I have a wet dry bio ball system, protein skimmer and I have a r/o system set up to make my water and it is working correctly. I think maybe I might be over feeding a little maybe.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That doesn't help much with trying to assist with the nitrite problem. Made for what? Do you have a protein skimmer? Powerheads? Anything outside the tank pumping water?

krebs11

Nitrates not nitrites. I'll tell you how its set up. the water goes into the over flow down threw the filter pads drips onto the bio balls runs down to the protein skimmer and comes out and I have a sump pump with a filter sock on it and puts the water back into the the tank. Where the sump and protein skimmer is I also have carbon and the aqua clear pellets to help with the nitrates

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, that system explains the excessive nitrates. Bioballs, filter pads, carbon and pellets do not completely break down waste produced in the system, which is what you are seeing with the nitrates. You have 220 system, do you not other sources of water circulation.

krebs11

Yes I have 3 circulation pumps plus the sump return line 2 pump are 600 gallon per hour and the other is just a smaller one