Help with bad isopods?

diamondjim

Added lawnmower blenny and 2 turbos not quite a week ago...lawnmower disappeared completely within a couple of days and the snails never moved. They came out of the bag one clinging to the other, clearly alive at the time. Flipped over turbos tonight to see what they've been up to and the shell were EMPTY. I've noticed a couple of swimmers that resemble pics I've seen of the bad kinds of isopods...like a swimming grain of rice. But they're fast and disappear quickly.
IF I have the bad kind of isopod, any thoughts on how to get rid of them? I've got a trap setup to try to catch one for pics and positive ID.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by diamondjim
http:///forum/post/2453699
Added lawnmower blenny and 2 turbos not quite a week ago...lawnmower disappeared completely within a couple of days and the snails never moved. They came out of the bag one clinging to the other, clearly alive at the time. Flipped over turbos tonight to see what they've been up to and the shell were EMPTY. I've noticed a couple of swimmers that resemble pics I've seen of the bad kinds of isopods...like a swimming grain of rice. But they're fast and disappear quickly.
IF I have the bad kind of isopod, any thoughts on how to get rid of them? I've got a trap setup to try to catch one for pics and positive ID.
First, how did you acclimate the two? Second, what all is in your tank and how long have they been there? How old is your set up? We cannot identify what is in your tank with the information given.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by diamondjim
http:///forum/post/2453706
Not asking for ID. Asking if anyone knows how to get rid of bad isopods.
It depends on what you have. There are several "bad" isopods. Few of which are as large as you are describing. You need an ID to figure out how to get rid of them. Some attach to fish and can be plucked off or drop off with the use of a dip, some are harmless and are actually beneficial, others eat corals and need to be removed in other ways. We need to know what exactly you have. How you acclimated the snails is very important. They could have died from acclimation shock and the cleanup crew ate them. Isopods would not eat a snail out of the shell. Snails have a "foot" which is the protective plate over the opening. If the snails were dead then anything could have eaten them.