Help with my Acans

al&burke

I have had these for over a year, they did not look like this when I got them. They are growing but not the color punch they had before. Here is a picture - I moved them up and down more flow less flow. The spot they are in has been the best so far. I threw in a couple of other pictures of corals as well. Thanks for now, Al

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/390080/help-with-my-acans#post_3452171
Very nice....I sure wish I could get my acans to look like that
Really meowzer, you should have seen them when I got them, I always say that acans look like those fuzzy fabric buttons, eh. I think these guys look crappy, but funny enough they are growing. Now the rics look really good and they are taking off. I am hoping that TL will chime in I know they have a bunch of acans.

btldreef

They're healthy looking in that picture.
Acan coloring is dependent on so many things. It's very frustrating. It's part of the reason that I will only pay so much for a "rainbow" because it might change. Lighting, parameters and feeding seem to be the big 3 when it comes to acans.
I will say that moving them a lot is usually not a good thing, although its really hard not to sometimes! I've noticed that colors seem to stay vibrant if I feed them PE Mysis soaked in VitaChem, more so than other foods.
Alkalinity changes and acans don't get along. I've noticed that alk levels higher than 10dKH usually have an ill effect on acans.

al&burke

Thanks TL, my alk is around 8, thanks for the feedback, I have not moved them for a few months now.