HELP!

kyler childs

I know the domino damsel is the most aggressive damsel but,My yellow damsel just keeps attacking him. There is rips in his fins from where he was bitten. Will my domino damsel survive? Also will he kill my yellow damsel?

lmforbis

Unlikely both will survive. One damsel is pretty much the limit. The one that wins will likely do the same to every new fish you add.

kyler childs

i have 4 damsels and i put two new domino damsels and a yellow tang but the ones that are fighting are the same size

lmforbis

You have a tank full of aggressive fish. If you had a 200 gallon tank you'd have a better chance with the damsels but in a 40 they will eventually kill each other off.
Yellow tangs can aggressive and in reality are not appropriate for a tank that size.
Firefish are more docile they say. My fire fish is the only fish I have that ever took a bite out of another fish's flesh.
My suggestion would be to rehome the damsels. The domino alone will get huge for that tank and the bigger he gets the meaner he will get. That combined with a small tank means he will be fighting for territory with everybody. I'm singling out the domino because in my experience he'll be the winner but the same can be said for any damsel.
Don't get me wrong I love damsels. They are beautiful fish just not good community aquarium fish. I lived in the Phillipines back in the early eighties. One of my most vivid memories is huge groups of blue damsels everywhere they were absolutely a beautiful sight underwater until they decide you are in their territory and attack..they will happily go after an adult human they feel is An invader. I have kept single damsels in the past successfully. I kept even multiples 20 years ago in an even smaller tank when I was new to SW but it didn't end well.

kyler childs

If i could get a 200 gallon tank i would but i dont have alot of money and that 40 gallon took like half of my money plus im only 15 and i had a fresh water since i was 9.I got my 40 gallon tank at Christmas. My dad suggested we get salt water so im kinda new to saltwater. So i was kinda freaking out when the yellow damsel attacked the domino. Also Thank You for your help!

one-fish

Still have a lot of potential in a 40g but not with your current livestock hard to believe you having success....sorry.. Good News 40g is a good starter tank with it and some research on the hobby and asking ?'s here..your be on your way of doing what you imagine...Just my .02

lmforbis

One fish is right. A 40 is a great tank size. Big enough to keep stable but small enough that it isn't too expensive.
We've all made mistakes especially early on. It is good to go very slow. Patience is important with saltwater. I still struggle with that, it just isn't in my nature to be patient.
You need to remember that salt water isn't as forgiving as fresh water and you can't keep as many fish. Another thing that is almost always true is only one of each type of fish. One damsel although I wouldn't recommend a damsel in a 40 gallon tank, Only one clown etc. that goes for body shape and often color too. For example dottybacks and basslets are the same general shape and even though they are different kinds of fish they can't be mixed. There are a lot of fish that would work well in a 40 gallon. Research each addition and add them in order of increasing aggressiveness. When in doubt about if a fish would work go to a forum and ask other hobbiests before you buy. It is usually best not to just ask the people at the fish store their job is to sell fish And unfortonately many are not very concerned with the fish's future.