Hermit Crab Identifications

good alex

i think this is one of the hermit crabs that your talking about, correct? I found them at the beach and they clean the tank so well, theres no detritus left, altough they get big there doing a great job!!

wax32

Sorry to hear that vanquish!
Yes Alex, that is the thin stripe hermit we were talking about.

W

wbsurfer101

What if i have hermits that dont fit any of these? A type of dark blue legsed with light blue spots and red claws?

wax32

There are lots of red legged hairy hermits... I have never specifically heard of any eating aiptasia tho...

good alex

Just got this little guy today and I think that hes an orange claw hermit, correct? couldent tell because your picture dosent show the inside of him, and mines white.

thanks for your advice in advance!! :happyfish

wax32

That might be a young one that hasn't developed it's color yet, or maybe just a similar species, but Calcinus tibicen has a maroonish body:

Very cool crab, either way!

wax32

The first picture is way too blurry for ID. Looks like 3 diff species in the second: Hawaiian zebra, Mexican red-tip and blue leg, good mix!

wax32

By the way, I just realized my old domain poofed, so the picture links no longer work, I am going to try and get this fixed!

BenjaminsWinn

My son has had land hermit crabs for 4 years. Our recent family vacation to Myrtle Beach SC. yielded some awesome shells and some unexpected hitchhikers(marine hermit crabs). I have always wanted a salt water aquarium and now I had motivation.
My son and I together now have
2 Long Claw Hermits brought home from the shores of Myrtle Beach SC.
2 Blue legged Hermits
1 Scarlet Reef Hermit
1Dwarf Red Legged Hermit
1 Unknown (I call him The Ghost)
All of my pics can be found HERE
A few of my favorite pics...

Any help identifying "The Ghost" from the first pic would be greatly appreciated.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not a fan of hermits and can't help to id, but I would suggest that you not include snails in a hermit tank....they will be targeted for their shells as seen in the first pic.