High Nitrate & Nitrite in Nano tank

Alfonso

Hello third week on my 6 gal Nano tank still no fish or corals check water parameters my Nitrite was 160 ppm & Nitrate read 5.0 ppm Even though I have no fish or corals what cause it to spike so high. I made a 2 gal water change will check water parameters next week ? Oh oh was 8.2 and 0 Ammonia specific gravity is 1.022 and salinity is 29 if that help with the issue?

Alfonso

What did you use to start the cycle? What were the parameters then?
First week I had zero reading across the board than 2 week Ammonia spike up this week different Serrano I did added a cap full of stability from Seachem establish Bio -filter suppose to break down Nitrate & Nitrite don’t know if this cause it but I will check in the next day .

lmforbis

I don’t know where the nitrites came from but to start a cycle you need a source of ammonia to feed the bacteria while they multiply and colonize the tank. Most use a piece of raw shrimp, ghost feed or add pure ammonia to accomplish this. You test for ammonia until it goes away then you watch nitrites fall to 0. This take a few weeks to happen.
What are you using for water?

Alfonso

Good new tested all levels of my water parameters all down to 0 ppm PH 7.2 water temp is at 74 deg went to my local fish shop got me a small clownfish on fire shrimp and 6 Mexican turbo snails so far doing great I will check on them daily by next week a water change maybe some coral frags..

Alfonso

Good new tested all levels of my water parameters all down to 0 ppm 7.2 and temper around 74 Degress