Home made Gorgonian Food

rykna

I've kept several types of gorgs. I just purchased a Blueberry Tree gorg. To increase nutritional content I decided to make my own mix of invert filter food.
I mixed:
1/4 cup Garlic Guard
1/2 cup Zoecon(a Omega-3 fatty Acid Enhancer
1/4 cup salt water
1/2 cup Marine Snow
12 frozen cubes of gut loaded mysis
12 frozen cubes of mixed Brine and Herbivore mix
I liquidfied the mixture. I'll be storing it in the refrigerator.
Has anyone here made their own invert "soup"?

cranberry

I haven't heard of any keeping those alive long term. Please record how much you feed and when (including times of the day) and any other observations you may find.

A

alexmir

i blended up frsh shrimp, scallop, mysis, cyclop-eze, and some high quality pellet food. sadly my gorg. was on its way out from the beginning

rykna

Originally Posted by alexmir
http:///forum/post/2971092
i blended up frsh shrimp, scallop, mysis, cyclop-eze, and some high quality pellet food. sadly my gorg. was on its way out from the beginning
That's a bummer. Did you purchase a BB gorg too? My Blue Berry isn't 100% healthy either. The poor thing was being smothered by algae at the store. So far, so good. I did a bunch of pruning and started some frags. The Blue Berry still looks like a over trimmed tree, but the healthy sections have regained their royal blue color, and new tissue has started to cover the exposed "bone". There are also tons of very tiny white polyps springing up like new growth. As the new growth matures, the "skin" turns a deeper blue and the white polyps seem to mature into the bright blue polyps.
If the damaged parts of the BB gorg do not completely heal I'm going to frag the good parts and toss the dead parts.
I'm still having trouble finding a place in the tank that the gorg will fully open. It seems to open in sections, unlike my purple sea whip which is fully extended all day when the light is on. It seems to prefer the same height and flow as the sea whip. However the polyps behave very differently. The top polyps on the middle stalk are the first to open, around 1-2 pm the the top stalk closes, and the two smaller outside stalks open up on the top. Around 3pm everything on top closes and the middle stalk's mid- section opens up. Through out the day all the mini white polyps stay open.
Hhhhmmmmmmmm.....
If these stages are typical of the BB gorg it may explain why they do so poorly. Most of us feed our tanks once a day. So if the BB gorg opens it's polyps in different stages, it would mean that some of these polyps would never get enough food to survive.
I'd describe their eating habits similar to a ant colony. Everyone works together to gather food...if part of the ant colony were to stop collecting food. The entire ant colony would eventually starve to death. The BB gorg would suffer the same way.
~Rykna