Horn shark eyes

mrogers

I recently bought a horn shark and noticed that one of my angels was picking at his eyes. He stopped eating for a few days and was barely moving. I took out the angel and he is eating again and has become more active. His eyes are cloudy and have like a layer of white film. It looks like they are scabbing up. Will his eyes fully recover?

lmforbis

Hard to say. He may suffer some loss in vision if he develops scar tissue on his corneas. Not sure if that will matter much, they don't use their eyes to feed and in nature feed at night. If he is eating that is a good sign. What size tank do you have him in?

mrogers

Hard to say. He may suffer some loss in vision if he develops scar tissue on his corneas. Not sure if that will matter much, they don't use their eyes to feed and in nature feed at night. If he is eating that is a good sign. What size tank do you have him in?
i have him in a 150 right now... he's pretty small right now.. i will obviously have to move him into a bigger tank later. I just want his eyes to look normal again and for him to be healthy.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Its odd that the angel was targeting the eyes. I wonder if there are parasites there? Take a close look using a magnifying glass.

mrogers

Its odd that the angel was targeting the eyes. I wonder if there are parasites there? Take a close look using a magnifying glass.
That was my initial thought, I put prazi pro in the aquarium to see if that would help. I can’t tell if the eye is even healing, the only difference is that he started to eat and move a little more. The eyes still look bad smh..

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Take a look with a magnifying glass. I'm assuming you have no way to QT this shark?

mrogers

Yeah I have no way of quarantining the shark unfortunately. I am looking at the eye with a magnifying glass but I am not sure what I am looking for..

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Redness, swollen, parasites, cuts. Is it just one eye cloudy? Details on what the eye looks like under mag. glass. What are you feeding the shark and how often?

mrogers

Redness, swollen, parasites, cuts. Is it just one eye cloudy? Details on what the eye looks like under mag. glass. What are you feeding the shark and how often?
the eyes are both very cloudy- they look white, they are kind of swollen, sometimes the cloudiness would protrude like a small bubble and then pop(not his actual eye, the cloudy scabby part, it almost looks like a film), i don't see any parasites and when the angelfish picked on the eyes, the eyes would bleed. I am offering the shark food everyday and he eats squid.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
He could benefit from antibiotics, BUT, dosing a display tank with antibiotics is unwise. Were his eyes cloudy when you got him? Aside from squid what else is he eating? Define shark food? How often are you feeding?

Try getting either Zoecon or Selcon and dosing the food one time a day with it, then feeding him. Also start using FRESH minced garlic with the shark food. Fresh means right from the raw garlic glove, not anything in a bottle nor processed from the grocery store. Fresh garlic has a natural antibiotic, allicin. I would offer several smaller meals daily that is dosed with the garlic and garlic juices. Try to get the smashed up garlic, retaining the juices, with some meaty food then IMMEDIATELY syringe feed your shark with this. The quicker you can feed the shark with the smashed garlic and juice with the food, the better. Allicn in garlic quickly becomes ineffective once the garlic is opened up. Don't offer the zoecon/selcon with the garlic. Offer one small meal with the supplement, then other small meals throughout the day with the garlic, using a syringe for target feeding the shark.

What is your water source? What are all your water parameters?

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/c/index.php/articles/content/104

Additionally, start doing 5 gal water changes daily for the next week. Be sure that your water is well mixed and stable over 48 hr period using a pump and testing for salinity and pH prior to the change.