Horseshoe Crab

stormy31

Hello!

I am interested in buying two horseshoe crabs and I wanted to know if they would be okay together? Any comments on horseshoe crabs would be great!! Thank you!!!

blackjacktang

well, what else is in you tank?
They will get to about 8 inches. Sometimes, they will knock over you rocks and you need a deep sandbed. atleast 3in.

stormy31

I have a deep sandbed and I have 2 clownfish, hippo tang, royal gramma, damsel, pajama caardinal fish, and a scooter blenny.

clownfish11

1. How big is your tank
2. I wouldnt get it..they can ruin your tank...like make all your rocks fall over which could kill coral..and possible fish, and they dont do that well in captivity

stormy31

Originally Posted by ClownFiSH11
http:///forum/post/2594836
1. How big is your tank
2. I wouldnt get it..they can ruin your tank...like make all your rocks fall over which could kill coral..and possible fish, and they dont do that well in captivity
O..ok thanks for the heads up, I guess I probably won't get it then. BTW my tank is a 75 gallon

candycane

Are we talking about regular Horseshoe Crabs? If you go and look at Limulus Polyphemus, is that what you want to put in your tank?
If so, they can destroy inverts by crawling over them (amongst other methods). The will eat fish. The will eat clams. Plus they get rather large, like around 2 feet large. Once they get to that point, they really can't burry themselves unless you have a HUGE aquarium, LOL.

stormy31

Originally Posted by candycane
http:///forum/post/2594853
Are we talking about regular Horseshoe Crabs? If you go and look at Limulus Polyphemus, is that what you want to put in your tank?
If so, they can destroy inverts by crawling over them (amongst other methods). The will eat fish. The will eat clams. Plus they get rather large, like around 2 feet large. Once they get to that point, they really can't burry themselves unless you have a HUGE aquarium, LOL.
No no no lol I am talking about little mini horshoe crabs that only grow up to like 3 inches! :]

earnit33

I've got 2 in a 55gal. and haven't had any issues,clean substraight pretty good!Had for about 4 months.

N

nereef

Originally Posted by stormy31
http:///forum/post/2594887
No no no lol I am talking about little mini horshoe crabs that only grow up to like 3 inches! :]
no such thing. horshoe crabs get large and are not good specimens for most tanks.

pontius

if you buy one at 2-3 inches, it is most likely going to take well over a decade before they get anywhere close to 2 feet long. they live up to 30 years in the wild, and from what I've understood, they usually don't live nearly that long in captivity (at least in a normal sized home aquarium). they also don't walk over rocks and corals, unless you have corals directly on the sand, because that's where they stay. they CAN burrow under rocks if the rocks are on the sand rather than directly on the glass, so be careful. as for eating fish, they may eat a dead fish, but I don't see them attacking and killing a fish. they seem way too clumsy to catch a healthy fish imo. they are great at kicking up detritus and algae off the sand. I have 3 in my 180 and am thinking about getting 2 more.

ophiura

I strongly discourage keeping them:
They are not typical reef animals, and they are frequently blown about by the currents in our tanks which many think is "adorable" but it is not. They are bulldozers, and eat beneficial animals in the sand bed in addition to scavenging things. They are easy to keep in a species tank but IMO do not belong in reef tanks. The fact that they will never reach adult size in our systems is an indication, IMO, that they do not belong in them.

rainmkr07

Originally Posted by stormy31
http:///forum/post/2594813
Hello!

I am interested in buying two horseshoe crabs and I wanted to know if they would be okay together? Any comments on horseshoe crabs would be great!! Thank you!!!
I also have a 75g tank and I would suggest you bringing 1 or 2 of them home. My sand bed is only 2", not a DSB, and mine is very happy. They will only knock rocks over if you placed the rocks on TOP of your 4" DSB, by digging tunnels underneath them. If you placed your rocks on the bottom of your tank, and they are stable, the tiny horseshoe crabs won't harm a thing.
Mine is very active, very happy, and keeps the sand bed stirred and that makes me very happy. They won't outgrow your tank before they die on their own, so don't worry about that either. I don't have 2, but I highly doubt they would show any aggression to one another. So I say go for it!

fireangel

I also have 2 in my 55 gallon. Never a problem with each other or any other inhabitants (except the ones living in my sand bed). They don't climb on my corals or move rocks in my tank. They do swim around my tank very clumsily at night and during feedings they will swim upside down at the surface.