How can a LFS not know their products?????

speg

As a pest control tech if I didn't know a bug someone showed me or the name of a certain weed I would get trashed for 'not knowing my job'.
I've gone into a few LFS's and asked if they'd be able to special order me some inverts or coral.. In every case they say they do offer that.
I asked one LFS if they could order in 'Fox coral'... Their response "I've never even heard of that one..."
"Oh.." I said... "How about sexy shrimp?"
*laughs* "a Sexy shrimp?" "I can try..." she replied...
So three weeks later I return to the store and she tells me... "Oh, I got in those sexy shrimp... did you know how small they were?" "They both died though.." "One died in the tank and I tried to put another in a display tank and a fish ate it as it sank."
Another fish store:
I say "Can you order sexy shrimp and pom-pom crabs?"
They say "uh, we'll have to look to see if those are offered to us; haven't heard of those ones."
So I come back two weeks later...
They tell me "Oh, we got the sexy shrimp in! They're really small.. did you know they were that small? They're so cute!"
"We didn't get the >>>>>pow-pow crab<<<<< yet.. we'll keep trying".
These fish stores have both been in business for 10+ years.. how have you gone 10 years and never heard of super common inverts in the hobby?

swimmer4uus

I would not be going to those LFS if they have not heard of those. I could understand not knowing the more complex stuff, or even new things that are being discovered, but sexy shrimp...come on!
At least google it...geez

mrdc

The owner of one of my stores is not an expert in aquarium stuff but at least he has employees that are very knowledgeable. Now the owner will school you on anything bird related!
Anyway, if the store didn't have someone that knows this hobby, I would limit my shopping there.

subie41ife

haha. i'm somewhat new to the hobby and yeasterday in was in a lfs and saw a sexy shrimp and have no clue what it was and didnt ask. now you post this thread and now i know what it is lol. it was very very cool looking!
There is just soooo much stuff to learn its hard to keep track of everything! lol.

mrdc

Sexy shrimp are cool. I've has many but I think my domino did them in. I can't get one now because I know the hawkfish would kill it.

speg

I love them.. they're just so fun to watch.. I don't have an anemone in my nano but they seem to really enjoy my frogspawn... they'll actually stand on the tentacles and wave around with them... really shocked they don't get stung.

manderz

A local lfs sold me a green star polyp as an "ani-moan". But, living in a small town, there's not really any better option if I need something and can't wait for shipping. It's sad when a newbie to the hobby knows more than the people working at the store.

spanko

Daft, I think it is an anemone.
Speg, I get on this kick once in a while so humor me. IMO we should have done enough background checking on the coral or fish we want to by to know the scientific name. In a lot of cases this will assist the LFS in acquiring whatever critter it is we want.
Pom-Pom Crab = Lybia Tesselatta/I]
Sexy Shrimp = Thor amboinensis/I]

speg

lol are you kidding me? That would make them stare blankly at me until they mutter "uh...what's that?"
The list they get (cause I've seen it) mentions the regular "street names" (for lack of a better term) of the livestock i.e. true/false clown/skunk cleaner shrimp/fire/blood shrimp etc. You won't see scientific names on their buy-chart.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by Speg
http:///forum/post/3266527
lol are you kidding me? That would make them stare blankly at me until they mutter "uh...what's that?"
The list they get (cause I've seen it) mentions the regular "street names" (for lack of a better term) of the livestock i.e. true/false clown/skunk cleaner shrimp/fire/blood shrimp etc. You won't see scientific names on their buy-chart.
I agree its not on the order sheets, but I've been in stores like that and I do stare blankly and just walk away in amazement......

speg

Went into a LFS Saturday ... they were having a "coral sale" which wasn't much of a sale at all... I already knew the answer, but I always like to hear a second opinion..
I asked "What type of mushroom is that right there? and how much is it?"
She replied "It's a rhodactis" <-- that answer was fine... but immediately after she says "it's an anemone"
I really didn't know what to say...

handbanana

Originally Posted by Speg
http:///forum/post/3272530
Went into a LFS Saturday ... they were having a "coral sale" which wasn't much of a sale at all... I already knew the answer, but I always like to hear a second opinion..
I asked "What type of mushroom is that right there? and how much is it?"
She replied "It's a rhodactis" <-- that answer was fine... but immediately after she says "it's an anemone"
I really didn't know what to say...
"See ya later, good luck with those Anemones"

J

jstdv8

the dreaded muchroom anemone. I hear they are terrible hitchhikers. they eat mantis shrimp for breakfast