How do acans grow?

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeSB http:///forum/thread/335544/how-do-acans-grow#post_3379307
acans is that i notice theyre really finicky about alkalinity. they tend to die when alk is too low
I can attest to this, as my alk was 5 DKH and it wasn't showing any signs of anything (except impending death), but when I found out alk was that low, I dosed to get it back up and 2 weeks later I have 6+ heads on something I had only 2 on before! So yes, check your alk could be off and causing underlying problems!

kiefers

okay.... this is disturbing to me because I just got some rainbows today and to be honest with you all, (forgive me henry) I know nothing about them. Lighting, flow, where to put them in your or my tank. It's embarrassing but do need info.
This thread thus far merely discusses the skeleton.

nikesb

lighting - indirect/shaded and LOW. i keep my acans around 80-120 PAR.
flow - low to medium flow makes acans PUFFY
placement - sand is fine as long as its a bigger grain sand. if not rocks or large frag plugs is best

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerth6932 http:///forum/thread/335544/how-do-acans-grow/20#post_3379462
I can attest to this, as my alk was 5 DKH and it wasn't showing any signs of anything (except impending death), but when I found out alk was that low, I dosed to get it back up and 2 weeks later I have 6+ heads on something I had only 2 on before! So yes, check your alk could be off and causing underlying problems!
so what do you dose with to get your alk up. (don't tell me ****** either...Loll...) walked right into that one huh?
I checked my alk and it was 6. needs to be atleast 9 is what i hear

nikesb

if you're alk is that low, then you either need to change your salt brand or start using 2 part if you have a calcium demanding tank.
my tank uses up 2 dkh and roughly 50 ppm of calcium a day. yours shouldnt be as much as mine as i have an sps dominated nano. I dose BRS 2 part recipe 1 for my tank.
when dosing soda ash and trying to bring alk up, it needs to be added in small amounts so that it doesnt cause a large ph swing. i do this by adding soda ash to my top off. i put in roughly 25 mL per gallon of alk in my top off. if i start to drop too low, i add 30 mL until it slowly gets back up to 8-9. when i was dosing vodka, i kept my alk at 6-7

kiefers

What type of salt would you recommend? I was thinking about dosing with a Kalswacker (sp).... I'm terrible with my spelling today.

nikesb

you can do kalk, but kalk would be based off your evaporation and therefor might be inconsistent depending on humidity. if its a large enough system, it shouldnt vary by much. personally i think you would benefit with two part more than kalk if you're not a high demanding sps/clam system. and when i mean high demanding, i'm thinking at least 10 colonies of sps.
what salt are you using right now?

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeSB http:///forum/thread/335544/how-do-acans-grow/20#post_3385664
you can do kalk, but kalk would be based off your evaporation and therefor might be inconsistent depending on humidity. if its a large enough system, it shouldnt vary by much. personally i think you would benefit with two part more than kalk if you're not a high demanding sps/clam system. and when i mean high demanding, i'm thinking at least 10 colonies of sps.
what salt are you using right now?
well then.... Thank ya for the 411. What salt do you use? And what is this recipe you are referring to? I have a-lot of different types of coral, both SPS and softies. They seem fine but.... you never know.
Please forgive me here but I am still reading and studying up on corals, learned so much and yet have so much to learn.

nikesb

if the sps arent receding and losing their colors, i wouldnt even try to raise it up high with 2part just yet. what is your calcium at and what test brand are you using for your dkh?
as for my salt, i was using reef crystals but will be trying tunze excel next week.

kiefers

I just started using reef crystals some time ago. I stand corrected on the alk.... as I was reminded it was 9. Thinking about trying the Red Sea Coral Pro salts or the DDH2Ocean brand. I've been reading up on these ..... we will see. My Ca is 440....

nikesb

so your dkh is 9 or 6? or do you mean the rc dkh is 6?
the new red sea salt is pretty good and has 12 dkh at 35ppt. i would not use the dd salt just because their been too many inconsistencies with the salt. some even reported montipora recession (not sure why).
If your alk is 6 and your calcium is 440, i would next check your magnesium

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeSB http:///forum/thread/335544/how-do-acans-grow/20#post_3385676
so your dkh is 9 or 6? or do you mean the rc dkh is 6?
the new red sea salt is pretty good and has 12 dkh at 35ppt. i would not use the dd salt just because their been too many inconsistencies with the salt. some even reported montipora recession (not sure why).
If your alk is 6 and your calcium is 440, i would next check your magnesium
okay .....dkh is 9, calcium is 440 and magnesium is 1320ish, the test I have for the magnesium is the red sea mag test kit and it gives me a different readings. There has to be a different test kit for that.

nikesb

salifert is the best for the mg test.
well you're in right ranges so i wouldnt do anything drastic just yet. if you find yourself consuming more than 20 ppm a day of calcium or more than .5 dkh a day, then you should consider dosing. usually you dont see swings thats super large unless you have an sps dominant tank.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeSB http:///forum/thread/335544/how-do-acans-grow/20#post_3385709
salifert is the best for the mg test.
well you're in right ranges so i wouldnt do anything drastic just yet. if you find yourself consuming more than 20 ppm a day of calcium or more than .5 dkh a day, then you should consider dosing. usually you dont see swings thats super large unless you have an sps dominant tank.
spounds great..... thank ya. I test every now and then but when I do it comes out the same each time so......