How does a Plate Coral move?

R

rcreations

Here's something I've been wondering lately... how does a long tentacle Plate Coral move about? I put mine in a spot before I go to bed, then when I wake up, it's moved. It has a hard bottom, so how does it get about? It can't climb over rocks but it seems to be able to move anywhere it wants on the sand.

perfectdark

They dont/cant move voluntarily, something either pushed it, or a sand sifting invert under it moved it. Or a current from a power head pushed it around.

peef

If you have a clown it might be nipping at it. They are territorial and try to fight anything near their space. I only ask because mine did this.

R

rcreations

Must be the current. The clowns have their own BTA on the opposite end of the tank, I never saw them even bother to go around the plate coral. I think you're right though, it's the current. Because it always moves to the exact same spot, not far from where I put it, up closer to the glass.
Could it be the yellow wrasse? It sleeps under the sand at night, right next to the coral. Maybe it doesn't like it so close so it pushes it over?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by RCreations
Must be the current. The clowns have their own BTA on the opposite end of the tank, I never saw them even bother to go around the plate coral. I think you're right though, it's the current. Because it always moves to the exact same spot, not far from where I put it, up closer to the glass.
Could it be the yellow wrasse? It sleeps under the sand at night, right next to the coral. Maybe it doesn't like it so close so it pushes it over?

yep could be either one very eaisily.

jonthefishguy

Plate corals move about at times. Most never see them move in aquariums but it is not only the current that moves them. They generally move in areas to find light and have been known to climb up and sometimes flip themselves right side up as well. They use the inflate/deflate method to not only move around but to also flip themselves. They also unburry themselves if need be. I actually had a plate that I sold and would watch this thing move about every 3 or 4 days.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
Plate corals move about at times. Most never see them move in aquariums but it is not only the current that moves them. They generally move in areas to find light and have been known to climb up and sometimes flip themselves right side up as well. I actually had a plate that I sold and would watch this thing move about every 3 or 4 days.
Odd.... well then you learn somthing new in this hobby every day. I stand corrected then.

myzislow

yes, I had an orange short tentacle plate tat used to move all the time. Every morning I'd find him smashed up against the front glass, a good 3-4" from where he was the night prior. It used to piss me off to the point I got rid of it

R

rcreations

Originally Posted by myzislow
yes, I had an orange short tentacle plate tat used to move all the time. Every morning I'd find him smashed up against the front glass, a good 3-4" from where he was the night prior. It used to piss me off to the point I got rid of it

EXACTLY what mine does.

myzislow

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
They are probably looking for better lighting or something different from where they were originally placed.
Mine was in good lighting. My theory is that he didn't like to be up against the rough rocks where I wanted him(also where he looked better obv). A plate coral smashed up against the glass isn't very attractive, but I imagine the smooth glass feels better then jagged rocks to the coral.

petjunkie

They expand up really big and use the flesh to move I guess, only one of mine likes to travel, usually over to try and kill my torch. They can kill over rocks and flip themselves over but I've never had one do that. Mine also moves if it's getting too much flow.

R

rcreations

I have no idea why mine is moving. It really gets the same light and flow where it moves as where I place it. It's a beautiful coral but the first chance I get to sell or trade it, it's gone.

topfins-mj

Mine used to inflate and move when th eflow was too much to bare. They do not like being against rocks either. too bad durin gone of its movements it caught the edge of a rock, got infected and died. I think that they are hard to maintain alive for along time. Mine died after 4 months. I love them but I wouldn't get one again.

saltn00b

take it out of the sand bed. plate corals do not live in the sand bed in nature and the sand irritates the fleshy skirt. the skirt is vital to the plate corals health and an irritated / receeded one will stop growth and eventually kill the coral. this is why they used to be deemed hard to keep corals that would die after x months. keep them on a flat rock and it will thrive. my orange one never moves.

jonthefishguy

Originally Posted by saltn00b
take it out of the sand bed. plate corals do not live in the sand bed in nature and the sand irritates the fleshy skirt. the skirt is vital to the plate corals health and an irritated / receeded one will stop growth and eventually kill the coral. this is why they used to be deemed hard to keep corals that would die after x months. keep them on a flat rock and it will thrive. my orange one never moves.
That is entirely not true. These corals should never be placed on the rocks. They have the capacity to inflate with water and then expel it allowing them to "walk." They can tumble from the rocks and become damaged.

saltn00b

An Excerpt from John Hiller's Article in Reefkeeping Online Magazine:
On the reef, plate corals usually do not have the "puffed-up" appearance that they commonly have in reef aquaria. I've also noticed while diving that plate corals seem to be found quite often with their mouth side down, with no particular harm coming to them in this orientation, other than being a bit pale if you flip them over. Perhaps the toast falls butter side down quite often on the reef, too! On the reef, Fungia are often found on small rock ledges, not necessarily on sand surfaces; and only at night do plate corals completely extend their tentacles and swell up with water as they actively try to capture plankton.

here is one in the wild:

mine personally had an irritated skirt until i did some research on it and moved it to the rocks. now the skirt comes down about 1/4" + beyond the bottom.
so the moral of the story is
A) just because you own or work at a fish store does not mean you know everything. research before you claim someone else's experience to be a total falsehood. that is arrogant, and does nothing to advance the hobby.
B) yes they move and a fall from rocks can possibly be fatal. however, placed in a secure flat rocky area, is the most ideal placement for them. they likely wont move if they are happy.

jonthefishguy

I think you are taking it too personally. I was reffering to your statement that said they don't live in the sand bed. Your personal experience was not in question and is the example for all. Although you may have found 1 article that talks about plates being on rock. I have found a minimum of ten articles that have stated otherwise and give placement for these corals on the sand bed. If you feel that your way is correct then so be it. However, it is recommended by many that placing them on the sand bed is the best and rocks should be avoided.