how fast do bamboo sharks grow

yzkid8503

how fast do bamboo sharks grow and how fast do they grow i really want a smaller shark so if you have anyideas gimmy them

tony detroit

The first year and a half they're around a foot, foot and a half, after that they're big and very boring, pretty much not moving unless the lights are on. Epaulettes are much cooler IMO.

jim27

Originally posted by tony detroit
Epaulettes are much cooler IMO.

What do you mean "cooler"? I've only kept bamboos so I can't say this first hand but I talked to a guy a while back on reefcentral who's kept lots of sharks(including bamboos and epaulettes) and he told me that epaulettes and bamboos were pretty much identical in terms of activity level(if thats what you mean by "cooler") in his tank. Were your experiences different?

tony detroit

Yes, mine was very boring. Every epaulette I've seen is always kinda wandering around the tank, that's why I think they're more interesting than bamboos. Mine would sit in the same spot for 10hrs. straight no problem.

civickid

i have 2 bamboo sharks that i hatched and they are about 2.5 months old and they are7.5 inches. I feed them all the time and it doesnt make them grow fast at all. What were you feeding yours if its 15 inches at 5 months old.

mr. tuna

on there first year they get up to 1'-1.5'. But after that they would only grow about 9 inches a year.

jim27

Originally posted by tony detroit
Yes, mine was very boring. Every epaulette I've seen is always kinda wandering around the tank, that's why I think they're more interesting than bamboos. Mine would sit in the same spot for 10hrs. straight no problem.

Thats pretty much the same thing he said about his epaulettes as well. With my bamboo somedays he's how you describe your bamboo and other days he's how you describe epaulettes. Do you have any first hand experience with epaulettes other than seeing them in other tanks?
AC, if you read this, what are you experiences? I know you've had an epauette for a while and now have a bamboo.

gasguzzler

civickid, mine get fed squid, scallop, shrimp and haddock. All of it gets soaked in Kent Zoecon for at least 24 hours before feeding. All of it fresh (never frozen) and they get fed three times a week (Mon, Wed, Fri).

cincyreefer

Our epaulettes have always been rather active during the day. I have heard a few people say that their epaulettes are pretty much identical to a bamboo, but I guess it really just depends on the individual shark. I like epaulettes much better than bamboos though... I just like the way they "crawl" around.

tony detroit

Originally posted by JIM27
. Do you have any first hand experience with epaulettes other than seeing them in other tanks?

No, but after seeing all the epaulette's I've seen and seeing all the bamboo's I've seen, I think I would definitely recommend a epaulette over a bamboo. Like cincy said, they're always crawling.

jim27

Two of the 3 epaulettes I've seen(yes, only 3, stores never get them in over here) were both wandering around like you guys are talking about while the other was doing nothing. I thought they were more a more active shark too but the experiences of the guy who's actually kept a number of them seemed to prove that wasn't the case. But whatever. I guess you'd have to be a shark lover to find bamboos interesting.

wrigley11

About how fast sharks grow has to due with multiple factors.
For example: Tank Size
Feeding ( What type of food & hpw much )
Tank Temp.
Water Quality
Stress level of your animal
Etc....
For the most part - 6 to 12 inches a year...