how hard is it to keep a nano tank

dunga

hi guy,s im new to salt water i just stared a 50 gallon fish only tank its cycling . but wanted to know how hard is it to keep a nano im in love with these reef tank .with a the scientific talking in the forum it seams hard to keep one can some be honest in how hard it is to keep or should i wait till im more expirienced thanks

jerryatrick

How hard? Very similar to Trigonometry. All jokes aside I think 50 gallons is a great starter tank. Just keep reading up and you will be just fine.

nissan577

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2938175
nanos really aren't that hard... bad things accelerate quicker though.
+1. pretty simple. all you really have to do is do some mods to the tank. and you will be able to keep softies and lps corals perfect!

coral keeper

IMO people make too big of a deal about nanos being extremely hard to care for and should be for experienced reefers. It is really easy to care for really.

snakeblitz33

Better to start with a nano and realize you can't do it, then start with a large aquarium and realize you can't do it.

Nano's aren't difficult, just do a lot of research and reading on the forums. You will get a handle on everything.

florida joe

IMO (I would never want to be rude or condescending) I do not think it’s a question of how hard it is to keep. It’s more of a question of how capable the hobbyist is at dealing with problems that can arise with a much smaller margin for error then a larger tank

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2938642
IMO (I would never want to be rude or condescending) I do not think it’s a question of how hard it is to keep. It’s more of a question of how capable the hobbyist is at dealing with problems that can arise with a much smaller margin for error then a larger tank
yeah, what he said

R

ricka

agree with all the above. hard to keep healthy nanos are simply a myth from my experience. its simply old school thinking. yes, things can get bad in a hurry but at least you can go cheaper while assessing whether sw tanks are good for you. just keep up on the water changes.

dunga

thank guy,s thnks for the help you know people make it seem so much harder but thank for a the info

just think,if you can keep corals alive and growing in a nano you will be able to kepp a larger tank without worrying so much,and you can reack the bottom without staning on a stool lol

zoie2

Originally Posted by Reeftanker84
http:///forum/post/2940027
just think,if you can keep corals alive and growing in a nano you will be able to kepp a larger tank without worrying so much,and you can reack the bottom without staning on a stool lol
yea, maybe you can, I can't. I still need a stool to work on mine or I just step on the couch.
Anyway, I started with a 12 gal. nano. It was my first saltwater tank. I would say it's easy. If you do your research, listen to the people here and put in the work, it's easy and fun. (and oh yea, adicting!)

ive never had a saltwater tank in my life and i got a 5.5 gallon and apparently everyone told me it would be really hard...so far the hardest thing was learning how to beat cyano and that problem went away on its own.

dunga

yeah i know what you mean by adicted.I already want to get more tanks but i know i must have pacience thank dude,s for the info

coastie5685

i agree on the bad things accelerating faster in a nano. but like subie said... a little more attention on the nano in a week will make a nice piece of eye candy