How long do you keep lights on?

I recently moved my tank and reset it up and put timers on all of my lights. For whatever reason I am getting high levels of algae on the glass and rocks and I am wondering how long everyone else keeps their lights on. i have a 125 gallon tank with only live rock and fish right now. I have 2x400 watt halide bulbs and 2xT-5 48" bulbs. I run the T-5's from 8:30am-10:00pm and the halides from 10:00am-9pm. Maybe I am running them too long. Just curious what everyone else does or what you think? I am looking to add corals here in a little bit.
Thanks

novahobbies

Well I run my MH from noon to 11, but I have a much smaller MH. 150w is a big difference compared to 800w total.
How old are your lamps? If the algae is a new development and the photoperiod hasn't changed from before, you may be seeing a red-shift in the bulb.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tableforglasses http:///t/389946/how-long-do-you-keep-lights-on#post_3449797
I recently moved my tank and reset it up and put timers on all of my lights. For whatever reason I am getting high levels of algae on the glass and rocks and I am wondering how long everyone else keeps their lights on. i have a 125 gallon tank with only live rock and fish right now. I have 2x400 watt halide bulbs and 2xT-5 48" bulbs. I run the T-5's from 8:30am-10:00pm and the halides from 10:00am-9pm. Maybe I am running them too long. Just curious what everyone else does or what you think? I am looking to add corals here in a little bit.
Thanks
If you're having an algae issue, I'd turn the lights off all together.
Moving the tank probably kicked up some stuff and the tank needs to resettle.
IMO, you're running your Halide bulbs WAY TOO LONG, especially while there is algae in the tank.
I have LED's, but here's my timing schedule:
8am -10am blues come on (they're on a dimmer so they fade on)
12-1PM whites fade on
6PM, whites start to fade out and are completely off by 630/7
10 blues completely off (they start fading off around 8)

acrylic51

Agree with the above.....Running the halides a bit to long IMO as well, and 400's as well on a 125, and if their due changing could be a contributor to the tank move as well......