How to best use my too-small sump (my stand is too small)?

xeanliao

The attached picture shows my current 20-gallon sump that supports a 100-gallon display tank. I think my DT consider low bioload: four different tangs (yello, blue, powder brown, and kole tangs all about 2-3 inches), 4 clownfishes ( less than 1.5 inch), one flame angel (1.5 inch), two gobies. LPS and soft coral only.

I use the first chamber as fluidized filtration, 2nd chamber has a too-small protein skimmer (tunze 9004) and a lot rocks in both DT and 2nd chamber. Recently I made a algae reactor just for fun.

It has been ok: soft coral grows like weeds, LPS grows steadily, too although I seem not able to maintain SPS long term, used to have some acropora and bird nest but got STN twice last year and I gave up sps for now . However, I always feel the fluidized filtration takes up too much space from my too-small sump, that I thought was a mistake in the first place. So I started planning to change how to use my sump recently. My original plan was:
  1. remove the fluidized filtration gradually to free up the space eventually.
  2. with the space in 1st, I can get a larger protein skimmer, and possible run other reactors or other equipment later.
  3. then, for the 2nd chamber, upgrade the sump lighting to grow as many macroalgae as possible.
So, I removed one third of k1 filter media first. In only two days, I immediately see some algae growing in my DT. It is really manageable with my tangs who love them. But this raise some questions :
  • my fluidized filtrations probably is doing better than I thought, do you think so? or, do you think this is just temporarily because I remove too much at once?
  • And the most important question to answer is, given the small sump (and the above question), is my original plan worth it in terms of filtration/maintenance efficiency?
Any suggestions what you would do, or any other ideas?

Attachments

Last edited:

lmforbis

Why not just build a bigger sump. On my 125 I used a 29. I now have a 120 high and I use a 40 for my sump.

Something you may not be considering is if your sump is too small it could over flow if your return pump stops for some reason.

novahobbies

I would second the recommendation of building a bigger sump. That way you could design it the way YOU want it. a standard 20g tank for a sump is a tad small. If you can swing a 30 gallon breeder under your tank (36l, 18w, 12h) you'll be in much better position to get some additional filtration in. Personally I'm a fan of the simple design: filter floss and carbon in the flowout section of the first chamber, protein skimmer filling up the rest of chamber 1, then a macroalgae fuge, followed by your return area. Easy-peasy and a tried-and-true method of filtering a reef.

My current sump is set up somewhat like this, but beause of space my skimmer is sitting in the fuge area and it's NOT a good place for it. I'm forever cleaning chaeto out of the skimmer pump. Don't do as I do, do as I type.

lmforbis

Or a 40 breeder which is a bit taller an same footprint. It allows for a bit mor extra volume to protect against overflows.

xeanliao

Or a 40 breeder which is a bit taller an same footprint. It allows for a bit mor extra volume to protect against overflows.
Having a big sump is definitely a best solution but unfortunately I don';t have that option due to my mistake. When I build the stand, I made it "perfect fit" for the 20-gallon aqueon tank, and I was thinking shorter stand would be easier if I wanted to work on my DT. It turns out I rarely need to work in my DT at all. My bad mistake :-(

Let me change the discussion title to reflect what I am trying to do: how to best use of my too-small sump. Having say the above, thanks, I am looking into the 40 breeder dimension now.

xeanliao

I would second the recommendation of building a bigger sump. That way you could design it the way YOU want it. a standard 20g tank for a sump is a tad small. If you can swing a 30 gallon breeder under your tank (36l, 18w, 12h) you'll be in much better position to get some additional filtration in. Personally I'm a fan of the simple design: filter floss and carbon in the flowout section of the first chamber, protein skimmer filling up the rest of chamber 1, then a macroalgae fuge, followed by your return area. Easy-peasy and a tried-and-true method of filtering a reef.

My current sump is set up somewhat like this, but beause of space my skimmer is sitting in the fuge area and it's NOT a good place for it. I'm forever cleaning chaeto out of the skimmer pump. Don't do as I do, do as I type.
Thanks! was just considering both you mentioned above:
  1. My door width is 26, hopefully I can twist the right angle a little to wiggle a 29 tank in. It is going to be a lot work just to try it.
  2. I was thinking about leave the skimmer with soon-to-be refugium 2nd chamber. Glad to know this is not a easy-to-maintain option.

novahobbies

Take it from a guy who has a 29g sump. They STINK when it comes to maintenance in the sump!! Honestly. I have a similar issue as you do -- door to the sump is such that I have to bend my arm at angles God never intended if I need to do anything productive....and as for the skimmer, since it only needs 6 inches of water or so, it's on a riser in the tank, and therefore extremely hard to maintain and clean. You can do what's best for you, but I will never recommend anyone use a 29g tank for a sump unless their stand is REALLY tall.

lmforbis

I’ve made similar mistakes. When I built the stand for my 125 I Intended to use my old 55 gallon as the sump. My stand was tall and the space under it would fit the 55. Problem was I had to fill the new tank and transfer the fish to the new tank before I built a sump out of the 55. I over looked one thing, there was no way to get the 55 under the tank. I had to used a 29 which was the biggest I could get under the tank. It wasn’t the best shape because a 29 is tall but so was my stand.

Now I have my sump in the basement.

xeanliao

I’ve made similar mistakes. When I built the stand for my 125 I Intended to use my old 55 gallon as the sump. My stand was tall and the space under it would fit the 55. Problem was I had to fill the new tank and transfer the fish to the new tank before I built a sump out of the 55. I over looked one thing, there was no way to get the 55 under the tank. I had to used a 29 which was the biggest I could get under the tank. It wasn’t the best shape because a 29 is tall but so was my stand.

Now I have my sump in the basement.
very nice to have sump in the basement. I don't have basement, but still curious how that is done, perhaps I can learn something and put the refugium in my backyard using southern california sunlight :)

lmforbis

I just ran the plumbing down through the floor. You can have a sump anywhere. Outside works but the sun shining in it will heat up the water. I’ve seen people put them in sheds outside or in garages.

novahobbies

I know a woman who had her sump system set up outside in an enclosed shed, but she was from central Cali and the weather was a little more moderate. Outside sumps can be done but they require a lot of planning. I would if I could, but my south florida sunshine would boil the tank. :)

xeanliao

wow ... I was just joking :) one thing I would love to have is to have a veggie greenhouse in my backyard after I retire. Knowing there are really sumps setup outside, having a sump in the greenhouse to grow planted refugium may be worth explore the idea :)