How to choose a powder blue tang

HKfshkpr1

Fish in mind: 4 inch powder blue tang. At the fish store some are colorful while some are drab/more dull looking.
Is it risky to pick a colorful one that could be subject to cyanide posioning? Will a drab looking one gain color eventually?
Thanks for you advice!

HKfshkpr1

If you don't mind, what size is your tank and do you plan on quarantining your tang?
Tank= 180 gal. System total water about 250 gal. I quarantine "all" new fish 3 weeks. However, I have not decided on whether to use copper on the PBT once I get it.

Tank size is not a problem but the aggressive Yellow Tang in there is a problem. Right now I just want to get a healthy fish with potential.

jay0705

Have them feed them while your there. Pick an eater. As far as cyanide, its illegal in most collection areas. Doesn't mean it isn't still used tho. Ask what area the fish where collected in, some are safer then others.

lmforbis

With a powder blue tang I’d treat with hyposalinity and assume it has ich. I’d also QT for longer than 3 weeks min 4. They are more susceptible to ich than others and if it is in a system with low levels of copper or low salinity it can mask the problem.

HKfshkpr1

With a powder blue tang I’d treat with hyposalinity and assume it has ich. I’d also QT for longer than 3 weeks min 4. They are more susceptible to ich than others and if it is in a system with low levels of copper or low salinity it can mask the problem.
Thank you for your advice! You say low salinity can mask the problem but still recommend hyposalinity. So I should "not" have 1.021 but must have 1.019?

lmforbis

Hypo salinity needs to be at 1.009 for the entire QT period. Many stores keep salinity on the low side 1.018 -1.021. That is not enough to kill ich it has to be at 1.009. I use an ATO when I run a hypo QT. It is much easier on the fish than copper. Be sure to drop salinity slowly and raise it back up even slower.

jay0705

Agree w the above. When I check bag water w new fish in it, it's usually around 1.017. My tanks are 1.022-1.026 so it's a slow acclimation process. To save your self some trouble get it low in your qt to start with.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Cooper is not the best choice for any tang. It has been associated with the fish getting Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) Rather than treat a fish prophylactically, just leave him in QT and see if a problem develops. Hypo would be best choice, using a refractometer.

HKfshkpr1

Cooper is not the best choice for any tang. It has been associated with the fish getting Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) Rather than treat a fish prophylactically, just leave him in QT and see if a problem develops. Hypo would be best choice, using a refractometer.
Sounds good I'll try it. Thank you!