How to get rid of slime algae

fuerte91

Hi I have noticed a little bit of slime algae starting up. I think what caused it was that my niece fed the fish once and put way too much in. Then a few days later it started it up. What eats this algae and how else can I get rid of it. Thanks

nwdyr

i can tell you what worked for me , and mind you I tried alllll the other things FIRST!! there are some good threads and info here about this topic and I am sure someone will direct you to them ( I read them , but don't know how to get to them , sorry) anyway... I used Maracyn , now I HATE using ANY chemicals but like I said I tried EVERYTHING else. So try what the others suggest first and if it don't work then try Maracyn. Good luck and act quick that stuffs spreads like crazzzzy!

spanko

Red Slime (Cyano Bacteria)
Cyano grows on top of nutrient rich areas of low flow. There are a number of things that need to be correct or possibly corrected to combat this without the use of chemical additives. The biggest thing is to get rid of the extra nutrients.
1.Evaluate your feeding. If you are feeding more than can be eaten in about 1-2 minutes it is too much and the remainder of it is falling to the rock and sand and becoming nutrient.
2.Evaluate your flow. If you have areas in the tank where there is little to no flow this can be corrected by adding power heads or repositioning the ones you already have. You don’t need to create sand storms just have water moving over the area to keep detritus suspended in the water column for removal by your filter – skimmer.
3.Evaluate your water changes. The solution to pollution is dilution! You want to continually remove unneeded nutrients as well as replace those things that are used by the system. 10% weekly is a good change schedule. Some do 20% every other week and some vary the schedule from there, but a good start is 10% per week.
4.Evaluate your lighting schedule. About 10 hours of daylight is all that is needed.
5.If you have a cyano outbreak do the above 4 items andh:
a.At water change time siphon off the cyano first. It will come up easily almost like a blanker.
b.After siphoning stir the affected areas a little to suspend any detritus for the water change and filtering - skimming removal.
c.Use a turkey baster now and at every water change in the future to again suspend the detritus for removal by the water change and your filtering – skimming.
Keeping nutrient levels low to non-existent will help to avoid cyano outbreaks and any algae outbreaks as well as keep your tank and you happy happy.
Hope that helps.