How to quarantine Kole tang

Discussion in 'Fish Disease & Treatment' started by xeanliao, Dec 19, 2017.

1. xeanliao

xeanliao Member

Hi, I got a Kole tang 5 days ago. She appears to be a very shy fish, either hiding when she see my shadow or bumping on the glass or chasing her own reflection in the corner. Finally yesterday, she started come out to eat occasionally. She look healthy that is a good relief.

Still, I am not risky my display tank by all means, I quarantine all new fishes and do preventive cuprimine treatment before release any to display tank. However, I read copper treatment could damage Kole tang.

What would you do to quarantine this type of tang without using cuprimine? lower dosage, or does it make sense to do preventive hypersalinity quarantine? or just observing she for longer period of time?

2. silverado61

silverado61 Well-Known Member

How long do you normally quarantine?

3. xeanliao

xeanliao Member

I follow cupramine instructions that suggests 2 weeks.

4. silverado61

Fish need to be quarantined a minimum of 4 weeks to insure fish health. It can take that long for possible illness or disease to show itself. If Kole Tangs don't react well to copper I would suggest at least 6 weeks to make sure there are no Ich parasites. I've know aquarists to QT up to 12 weeks just to be on the safe side..

5. xeanliao

xeanliao Member

my immediate concern now it not the duration of the qt. I read copper will damage Kole tang this specific tang species. I am very strict on QT prior releasing new fish to DT, and would like to know the proper way to QT/pre-treat Kole tang without killing it.

6. silverado61

That's just it. No treating. Just QT for at least 6 wks.

xeanliao likes this.
  7. xeanliao

xeanliao Member

ic, got what you meant now. thanks.

silverado61 likes this.
  8. jay0705

jay0705 Administrator Staff Member

Research hyposalinty treatment

9. silverado61

I don't think you should use hypo unless there's an actual problem.

10. jay0705

jay0705 Administrator Staff Member

While it wouldn't hurt the fish i agree. Also it only treats ich. However during hypo a fish's appetite increases so it can help to get them eating

11. beth

beth Administrator Staff Member

Using copper and other meds in the absence of an identifiable disease is always a bad idea. These meds are toxins to both fish and parasites so you don't want to expose your fish to toxic substances needlessly and you are right angels and tangs both tend to have negative responses to such exposure.

Hyposalinity is your best choice. Link below. A good 30 day observation of your fish in QT where your are closely observing fish at least 2x day to for signs of disease and health issues is good practice. I use a magnifying glass to observe fish. This can give you a rapid heads up to problems that may go unnoticed early-on.

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/c/index.php/articles/content/hyposalinity.100

xeanliao likes this.