how to switch everything to a 125 gallon from my 75gallon....?

jussery17

Hey I'm thinking about getting a 125 gallon but I'm confused about how I would go about transferring all my stuff ( sand, live rock, ect.) to the new tank and do I have to cycle it or can I not just switch some of the sand, add new sand and use all the water from my existing tank and live rock than put my filter with all that bacteria in it to the new tank? Dunno. If someone can be so kind as to please give me a step by step in how to do this the right way, that would be great bc I really really want this 125 gal.... thanks!!

lmforbis

I've done this a couple times. ThE biggest mistake I made the first time was using old sand. Caused me nothing but trouble. My a cup or two of the old to seed the new sand bed.
Last time I did this was in march. A 125 with a 29 gal sump to a 120 with a 40 gallon sump. I fill the new tank maybe half way with new water, same salinity as the old tank. I added the base rocks then the NEW sand. I then started arranging the rocks to the way I wanted them. I filled the tank to the top and added the livestock. No need to cycle. My tank is lightly stocked so no issues. It took me a couple more days to hook up the sump.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you plan to try and transfer sand, then you will need to move everything else into other containers (such as another tank or dedicated rubbermaid containers) that has good circulation with pumps and adequate temp. control. How deep is your sandbed? That will make a difference on whether its a good idea to use old sand or get all new sand. Move your sand over (making sure that the sand stays wet throughout the process) place your rocks, fill tank with well aged-mixed salt water (you can use your tank water from the 75 if its good quality in addition to well mixed water that you have pre-prepared. I'd let the tank get stable before moving other animals such as fish, inverts, any corals you have. This may be just a day or two.

Get the rock and animals out before you move over your filters and such to the new tank. I've done this process myself and it's really not too difficult (even leaving the animals with a few pieces of LR in rubbermaids is fine). Just plan things out and be prepared to work on the whole process wo stopping until you've completed.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
ThE biggest mistake I made the first time was using old sand. Caused me nothing but trouble. My a cup or two of the old to seed the new sand bed.
Yes. If your sandbed is on the shallow side, such as 1" or just covering the bottom, you can use it. If it is deeper, better to use new sand. If you don't use live sand, however, then you will need to plan for a cycle.

jussery17

Well my sand bed isn't very deep....I didn't want too deep of a sand bed but the deepest part is maybe 1.5 inches and maybe an inch everywhere else....I can buy new sand no problem, but just wanted to know the best way of doing it would be and easiest.... my tank is lightly stocked as well and imforbis, when you fill your tank the rest of the way up after placing rock, is that the water from your old tank?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You can use water from the old tank as long as that water is in good shape. It is best to use that water actually as long as it quality water without ammonia, nitrites, high trates.

jussery17

All of my base rock that I bought in the beginning that was white of course now has a bunch of purple growing on it...coraline

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you are good to go. That sandbed looks extremely fine grain. Is it bagged LS?

jussery17

It's not extremely fine grain, but it is small...the first big bag I got was LS than about a month later I got argonite sand, so it's mixed

lmforbis

Well my sand bed isn't very deep....I didn't want too deep of a sand bed but the deepest part is maybe 1.5 inches and maybe an inch everywhere else....I can buy new sand no problem, but just wanted to know the best way of doing it would be and easiest.... my tank is lightly stocked as well and imforbis, when you fill your tank the rest of the way up after placing rock, is that the water from your old tank?
I used all new water. I didn't want to have to rush the transfer and draining the old tank to fill the new would have resulted in me rushing to transfer everything.

jussery17

Ok so take make sure I've got this right. Since I have a 1"-sand bed I could get the new tank and wipe it out of course, but transfer the sand (can i add new sand with the old? And what kind should I get??) and most of the rocks and some water to the new tank from the old tank , also with a power head, just to keep the sand and rocks wet....let this sit for 2 days, than put the fish into new fresh containers and add the rest of the old tanks water into the new tank. Switch the filter, and the other powerheads and main heater into the new tank and let it circulate for 30 min and out the fish/inverts in the new tank

lmforbis

I'd add your first layer of rocks before the sand. The aquascape will be more stable that way. Add the sand around it. I'd get regular argonite sand, not super fine though. If you are going to add the old sand I wouldn't add the new on top of the old.

jussery17

Ok so most of the rocks than new sand than old sand...got it....and it's ok to have just enough water in the new tank to cover the rocks for a couple of days with a little current? I will prob use the rest of my old tank water since it's good water, than add pre mixed fresh rodi the rest of the way than the filter....should I but some dr tims one and only bacteria ? Like a small bottle just to make sure all that good bacteria gets a good jump start?

lmforbis

Yep you can let it sit a couple days.
Dr tims won't hurt
Keep an eye on the ammonia. The old sand being stirred up can cause ammonia to spike. Might not happen but better to be careful.

jussery17

If I do have an ammonia spoke in the new tank does that mean it's going thru another cycle? And I'll have to wait longer to add the fish?

lmforbis

When the sand gets stirred up a lot of crap gets into the water no matter how thin the bed is. All that crap needs to break Down and will cause an ammonia spike. That is why I will always start with new sand.