I have fell in love with these corals!!!!

Ok i have a 55 long with nova extreme pros and 2 clowns. How hard are zoos and palys to keep? Do you feed? Certain salinity or temp? Im planning on purchasing a few frags and just curious of the basics. It seems they spread fairly fast. Any and all info would be grreat THANKS

jaymz

Zoa's and Palys are fairly simple. You have the light they just need a bit of flow going over the top of them.
The basics if you have never kept corals;
You need to test your calcium levels and keep them between 450-500.
Food: mainly your light, but can feed something like microvert, but is not
necessary. If you want them to spread faster feeding can help this. If you feed something like frozen mysis to your fish you can get a small feeding syringe and spot feed a few of the heads some mysis. Dont do this more than once a week if you decide to.
Your water quality for most corals, including zoas and palys, is going to have to be very high. Your fish, snails and crabs can handle a water quality that a zoa will not. Weekly 10% is a good idea. These water changes will also replenish traces elements that your corals will use up. If you are having a problem keeping your calcium levels up you can dose with something like Red Sea Calcium +3.
Salinity is important. 1.024-1.025 specific gravity is where it needs to be.
Temperature 79*-81*

angler man

Originally Posted by Shaun Larlee
http:///forum/post/2611428
Ok i have a 55 long with nova extreme pros and 2 clowns. How hard are zoos and palys to keep? Do you feed? Certain salinity or temp? Im planning on purchasing a few frags and just curious of the basics. It seems they spread fairly fast. Any and all info would be grreat THANKS

I'll try to help. The difficulty varies greatly within species of zoa's and paly's. Some are insanely hardy and some and insanely temperamental. Unfortunately, some people do not understand that and when they lose a zoa or paly they feel as if they did something wrong. Some of these things are ultra difficult to keep. Most are pretty easy. IME, the smaller the more difficult.
I hate to say it, but Darth Mauls fit that class. I had some die on me awhile back, I went to replace them and the vendor had them die on him before he shipped them. Even with good aquaculturing this is going to happen.
As far as speed and growth, it all depends on the species. I have some that have yet to produce a baby. I have some that I'm wondering if they are related to Aiptasia because of their growth rates.
Salinity should be around 1.025-1.026. Temp should run 78 or so.
Feeding is optional, some see results and some do not. I feed Cyclops every third night or so or when I feel like it for no other reason than I enjoy it.
I have a Star Wars Paly right now and it's basically the same thing as a Darth Maul with a green mouth. It probably wasn't the smartest purchase, but I'm going to try to keep it alive! So far so good!
Also, do yourself a favor and pick up some Furan 2. Trust me, if you start buying these things especially the really expensive poylps, you're going to want to have it on hand.
Last thing, Zoa's and Paly's have a lot of enemies for some strange reason. Nudi's, Zoa Spiders(nasty), snails etc. So you should also pick up a coral dip. make sure you dip these things prior to putting them in your tank or you may find yourself up at 1:30 AM getting rid of Nudi's that want to make a snack out of your corals.
If you need anything else, feel free to PM me. I hope this helps

angler man

Originally Posted by Jaymz
http:///forum/post/2611472
Zoa's and Palys are fairly simple. You have the light they just need a bit of flow going over the top of them.
The basics if you have never kept corals;
You need to test your calcium levels and keep them between 450-500.
Food: mainly your light, but can feed something like microvert, but is not
necessary. If you want them to spread faster feeding can help this. If you feed something like frozen mysis to your fish you can get a small feeding syringe and spot feed a few of the heads some mysis. Dont do this more than once a week if you decide to.
Your water quality for most corals, including zoas and palys, is going to have to be very high. Your fish, snails and crabs can handle a water quality that a zoa will not. Weekly 10% is a good idea. These water changes will also replenish traces elements that your corals will use up. If you are having a problem keeping your calcium levels up you can dose with something like Red Sea Calcium +3.
Salinity is important. 1.024-1.025 specific gravity is where it needs to be.
Temperature 79*-81*
Doh! Sorry Jaymz, no one had replied to the thread yet.

nycbob

zoas and palys r relatively easy to keep. just make sure u freshwater dip it for 30 sec b4 adding to ur tank. this will get rid of the bad pests.

Thanks all

I have 2 clowns, 5 snails, and 15 hermits will they hurt polys?
also what is a fresh water dip...i understand the obvious but is it just de-chlored water with no salt or anything....just toss them in?
Also what is a Furan 2?

And last for now
i have a nice peice of LR that im hoping to start these colonies on. Is it true that i just take a few palys ir zoos and dry them and the rock to SUPER GLUE them on for good. Seems weird but thats what ive heard. thanks in advance

angler man

Furan 2 is an anti-bacterial fish medication that works wonders on Zoa Pox and helping polyps that are starting to form any fungus. It's not very expensive, so make sure you have it on hand. I have saved three frags with it so far.

angler man

http:///forum/post/2611998
oh ok....what about my other questions im enjoying the learning because I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST FRAGS!!!!

Nothing you listed will hurt zoa's or paly's.
I used RO water when I used to do FW dips. I perosnally only use the iodine dips now that I have seen what stress a FW dip can do.

iodine? just plain iodine, dip for thirty seconds and wipe clean and place in tank with super glue.....hmmmmm sounds good. If FW is stressful i better go that route....

angler man

http:///forum/post/2612114
iodine? just plain iodine, dip for thirty seconds and wipe clean and place in tank with super glue.....hmmmmm sounds good. If FW is stressful i better go that route....
Sorry, I have been gone all day. The stuff you want is tropic marin pro coral cure, there are others that will work as well. It's designed to kill the nasties. Normal iodine is not the same. If you don't have a coral dip product, then FW dip them. I believe the coral dips(tropic marin) are for fifteen minutes or so. Please note, you cannot FW dip all corals.

jaymz

http:///forum/post/2611943
Thanks all

I have 2 clowns, 5 snails, and 15 hermits will they hurt polys?
also what is a fresh water dip...i understand the obvious but is it just de-chlored water with no salt or anything....just toss them in?
Also what is a Furan 2?

And last for now
i have a nice peice of LR that im hoping to start these colonies on. Is it true that i just take a few palys ir zoos and dry them and the rock to SUPER GLUE them on for good. Seems weird but thats what ive heard. thanks in advance

Yes you can super glue your frags.
Either you can super glue the peice of rock, marble etc.. that your zoa's are on to your rock or if you really want you can try to carefully peel the mat of zoa's off its base and glue them to your rock.
If you choose to glue the peice of 'rock' that the frag came on to your rock get super glue GEL. always use the gel anyway, if it says cyanoacrylate somewhere on the bottle thats what you want. Now you can just put some gel on your frag then stick the tube of gel into your tank put some glue on the rock where you want the frag.
Then Quickly stick the frag into the tank touching the two patches of glue to each other. rock the peice back and forth slightly and the glue will set up and hold.
Super glue is safe once it hardens. it is inert and harmless to your tanks inhabitant. Just remember water make it dry faster so work quickly, while wearing GLOVES!!!!

gloves gotcha
i can imagine sticking frags to a rock and then pulling the rock out with your hand
Well i must say i really appreciate the help from everyone i cannot wait to get these frags and watch then flourish. Tomorrow im off to get calcium buffer and a calcium tester

And then its time to start planning my SUMP ADDITION
i better get another job.......

bronco300

if not mentioned remember to wear gloves and eye protection while fragging...some can have palytoxins, rare cases but they are out there that carry the toxin...so always wear gloves, eye protection, and wash hands afterwards....they are my curse as well, i love them!