I have to do something....

flower

I love the sump system I have...but I HATE the overflow thing. I do mean HATE. I am seriously looking at purchasing another HOB and disconnect the whole thing until I can afford a reef ready tank to replace the one I currently have. Which will be awhile because I don't want to upset the critters in this already established one until I absolutely have to.

I had to order another lifter pump...and it will be days before it arrives. So for now the tank is on life support AGAIN....I had to move the chiller hoses to the display, and add air lines to the sump to keep the water from going stagnant. I can't use the skimmer because it's in the sump, and the water is too high for it to work properly. Thank the Most High for macroalgae....the only thing keeping the display alive along with a HOB filter. I don't want to go back to a canister....I might just order another HOB to help the one on there already, and go with that.

I have to turn off and on the pumps too often to feed the seahorses, and I think that's why the lifter gizmo keeps giving out. I use the pre-filter, the pump just gets too tired to pump enough to get the overflow working right...and the water on top rises to just before overflow. This happens so often it drives me nuts, I add new lines, run hot water through the pump to clear it of any possible salt build-up, and poke a paperclip through the nub to make sure it isn't blocked and change the pre-filter...that USUALLY works...then one day unexpected (ALWAYS unexpected), it just stops doing any good. The water flows through the pump, but too gently to be fast enough to keep up with the sump pump anymore....that's why I call it too tired to work.

I tried other pumps, but it won't make a good seal or something and doesn't work....so I went back to the lifter pump. I already got so disgusted with the lifter pump on that one, that I removed the sump off of the 56g, I use only a HOB and macroalgae now, and that tank for the moment is doing awesome (famous last words)...

So...anyone want to talk me off the ledge? I love my sump, and the skimmer....but I don't know what else to do to keep my sanity.

P.S.
I actually had another lifter pump on hand...brand new in the box. I ordered it to have on hand for the next UNEXPECTED failure...well it doesn't work, and needless to say I have had it for 5 months and now can't get my money back, it was ordered on-line.....it doesn't cost much, $15.00 with shipping, but it didn't do me any good either....so once again the tank is on life support, in spite of my efforts to prevent it.

silverado61

Let me know if there's any emergency equipment you need and I'll see if I have it. I have a HOB rated for a 30g and a HOB rated for a 70g but no media filters. The filters are easy to get. They're Whispers and they both take the same size media. And I have two small pumps that can be used for powerheads or pumps. Let me know.

I also have a Reef Octopus BH100ss HOB skimmer. Not big, but better than nothing.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/397131/i-have-to-do-something#post_3538685
Let me know if there's any emergency equipment you need and I'll see if I have it. I have a HOB rated for a 30g and a HOB rated for a 70g but no media filters. The filters are easy to get. They're Whispers and they both take the same size media. And I have two small pumps that can be used for powerheads or pumps. Let me know.

I also have a Reef Octopus BH100ss HOB skimmer. Not big, but better than nothing.

Thanks, I have the macros, they will hold the tank for now. The chiller was the main concern...the pump should arrive sometime this week, I hope anyway. The store says it shipped, but UPS says it can't track it yet, just that a label was created.

flower

I'm mad at my pump...but I love my sump, I can't not have it...LOL, I'm spoiled now...Maybe I will look for a maxi jet power head that will make a tighter seal then the one I attempted to use the first time around. It had a square nub, looks like all the new small ones do...what good is that?