I need recommendations for what type of fish I should get

CatFishManiac

Hello, I am need of assistance I just started saltwater I have a 300g tank, & I want to know some Good fish recommendations and coral...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly you have a great size tank which opens up a lot of possibilities for how to set it up. However, livestock and coral is a big personal choice. You should do some looking around, perhaps at how others have set up their tanks, get familiar with the animals and corals that appeal to you. Take your time on it.

Also, consider establishing a quarantine tank. It's essential, especially in a reef tank, to set up a quarantine for all new fish. Otherwise, you can easily introduce a contagious disease to your system that will make it very difficult to deal with.

CatFishManiac

Sorry about the late response
Honestly you have a great size tank which opens up a lot of possibilities for how to set it up. However, livestock and coral is a big personal choice. You should do some looking around, perhaps at how others have set up their tanks, get familiar with the animals and corals that appeal to you. Take your time on it.

Also, consider establishing a quarantine tank. It's essential, especially in a reef tank, to set up a quarantine for all new fish. Otherwise, you can easily introduce a contagious disease to your system that will make it very difficult to deal with.
sorry about the late response I couldn't find the forums but anyways thank you very much this will help a lot I'm brand new getting into this hobby and I never knew about the quarantine I will definitely look up on how to make one!

jay0705

Tangs are a good choice. Just a few ideas for you. Pair of mated maroon clowns, naso tang, yellow tang, sail fin tang, melnurus wrasse, dwarf lion, cross hatch or blue throat trigger, sunrise dotty back, pair of golden sleeper headed gobys, trio of black and white butterflies.
Imo these fish can all be kept together. Intros tho should be well planned. I said mated pair of maroons bc they are very difficult to pair on your own. They get big for a clown. They will however hold there own with more aggressive and bigger fish

CatFishManiac

Tangs are a good choice. Just a few ideas for you. Pair of mated maroon clowns, naso tang, yellow tang, sail fin tang, melnurus wrasse, dwarf lion, cross hatch or blue throat trigger, sunrise dotty back, pair of golden sleeper headed gobys, trio of black and white butterflies.
Imo these fish can all be kept together. Intros tho should be well planned. I said mated pair of maroons bc they are very difficult to pair on your own. They get big for a clown. They will however hold there own with more aggressive and bigger fish
Okay, I will definitely take a look into these fish! But how am I going to find mated maroon's? But yeah those sound pretty good choices and I was wondering why you said dwarf lion because aren't lion's poisonous?

geridoc

You have gotten some good advice about fish. Before we can make any coral/invertebrate recommendations we need to know more about your setup. Lights, sump, skimmer, UV, algae scrubber, water conditions, how was the tank cycled, what are the current readings? Given this information we can be more specific about what additional organisms will do well in your tank.

CatFishManiac

You have gotten some good advice about fish. Before we can make any coral/invertebrate recommendations we need to know more about your setup. Lights, sump, skimmer, UV, algae scrubber, water conditions, how was the tank cycled, what are the current readings? Given this information we can be more specific about what additional organisms will do well in your tank.
Well I don't exactly have everything I need YET I'm still trying to find everything so give me a bit and I'll get back to you

jay0705

I have one with a yellow,hippo, and naso. Its all about when there added. Either together or the last tang. Tangs can get aggressive with other tangs of the same family or similar looking tangs. My yellow and him have there times where you can see that. It never becomes too bad tho. With a big tank they have room to themselves.

CatFishManiac

I have one with a yellow,hippo, and naso. Its all about when there added. Either together or the last tang. Tangs can get aggressive with other tangs of the same family or similar looking tangs. My yellow and him have there times where you can see that. It never becomes too bad tho. With a big tank they have room to themselves.
Ohhh okay thats cool so i can get a sailfin but just not as the first fish in there

jay0705

Correct. When i did my upgrade, the naso and yellow where tank mates. The sail and hippo where in qt. So i added them all together. New tank for all fish.

CatFishManiac

Correct. When i did my upgrade, the naso and yellow where tank mates. The sail and hippo where in qt. So i added them all together. New tank for all fish.
Late response sorry so as we where talking about I should add the peaceful fish first then add the more aggressive fish because then there not the King of the tank?