I think I killed my torch coral.......:(

lbannie

Yesterday I bought a beautiful torch coral from my LFS. Got home, all the tentacles were in. I was temp acclimating it and then I had to leave unexpectedly. I had to put it in the tank rather fast. This morning it's still not out. I have it halfway up in the tank for now..... Do you think it's doomed? How can you tell if it's dead?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbannie http:///forum/thread/383411/i-think-i-killed-my-torch-coral#post_3353092
Yesterday I bought a beautiful torch coral from my LFS. Got home, all the tentacles were in. I was temp acclimating it and then I had to leave unexpectedly. I had to put it in the tank rather fast. This morning it's still not out. I have it halfway up in the tank for now..... Do you think it's doomed? How can you tell if it's dead?

It's mad at you and thinks it is in danger, give it few days...do not mess with it. The more you putz with it the more it thinks it is in danger. a torch coral takes weeks to die unless something eats it. As long as you see the glow tip there is life down in there all drawn up..

katsafados

Yeah most likely its mad and acclimating itself... give it some time it shoulod open up. You can always try to put some food near it so it gets a little happier and starts to open up(coral have done that to me in the past)

lbannie

I hope it's ok, one of the heads has some slime coming out of it....I don't really see color though :( hopefully it pulls through!

ibanez

I recently bought a torch coral and it got brown jelly disease or whatever they call it and was gone within 4 days.

lbannie

Here's some pics of it this morning....I still don't see any color :( What do you think? If you look close there are tiny new heads forming (I think) maybe those will be ok??

flower

Sweety, those are nothing but skeletons, quite dead...Torch corals don't usually die that fast, you may have an eater in your tank. 6 heads in two days...look for a bobbit worm, they look like very long centipedes and can hide in a tiny rock crevice.

S

smartorl

Wow, that is a signifigant, quick loss. Are you comfortable with your lfs? I would go in and speak with them. Even with a possible acclimation shock, that is a super quick decine. I am speechless.
You saw all the heads open at the store? How far were the tentacles extended?

spanko

So the polyps have bailed or they have receded do to some infections. Hard to tell at this point. You say you saw slime. Do a search for brown jelly disease and see if this is what you saw. Leave what is there alone and see how things develop. You may in fact see some return here if there is any tissue left or from the new buds. Don't mess with the coral at this point. Just let it set and see what develops.
Do you see the polyps anywhere else in the tank? Sometimes the will land, attach, and grow a new skeleton. You must really look carefully at as many of the nooks and crannies as you can to find them if they are there though.

lbannie

well, I don't see any brown jelly.... at the LFS the torch was beautiful, fully extended....the guy did expose it to air....and he was rather rough in putting it in the bag (imo) he even had to open the bag back up cause I asked him to put more water in it! One head was slightly out of water. Could the air have anything to do with it? It was like the tentacles turned into white mush and are now gone. I saw a piece floating. One head still has white stuff in the center. I'm so bummed....

cam78

Something is definitely not right. NO WAY it can die that quick. It is like you dipped it in gasoline or something. IS this a new tank? Is the Ammonia reading zero? Something does not make sense. Air definitely had nothing to do with it. Was it in the cold long? I see your in NY

lbannie

nope not in the cold long, just a 30 min car ride home.....no ammonia in my tank, I was so disappointed! Actually I just got another torch and I had no problems! Strange..... I'll post a pic of the new torch!