I think we made a mistake.

saltwaterfish.com

Administrator
Staff member
At Saltwaterfish.com we value the bulletin board that has been part of the site since soon after we started in 1999. While we, of course, want to sell Marine Life and Aquarium Supplies , we also want to see the hobby grow and always try to be a resource for great information.
Our recent upgrade to vBulletin 4.0 was part of an initiative this year to greatly improve not only the bulletin board, but also to make the bulletin board the centerpiece of an expanded Educational Resource Area. Our vision included enhanced discussion, more articles, blogs, contests, featured articles, product reviews , and a greatly improved experience for the membership on the board.
vBulletin 4.0 promised a significant leap forward in capabilities, and we jumped at the opportunity to be the first in our category to take advantage of the new features. Now, after living with 4.0 for several months, and after reading ongoing negative reviews of 4.0, I have concluded that this was a mistake. We wanted to give you a better experience… and I apologize that we have done exactly the opposite.
While many of the new features are nice, they are more than offset by the shortcomings. Slower load times, errors in search, login errors, posting errors, lag time issues, picture upload and display issues….the list goes on. And while our IT people have developed work around solutions to make some of the areas work correctly, the product we have given you is not what we were promised nor what we envisioned for the site. I apologize for the issues you have had to endure over the past few months. We know you have choices and we appreciate your loyalty and helpful criticism.
Today I am announcing the beginning of a process to rectify the situation. But I want to say first off that I want this to be a collaborative process. I want to make this the positive experience that 4.0 was intended to give us.
We are proposing a partnership with a company that will: develop, upgrade, and implement a Saltwaterfish.com bulletin board that will not only retain all the archival posts, blogs, pictures, accounts, smileys, etc. from the existing site, but also organize it in a way that will allow for greater flexibility and ease of use. This company specializes in transitioning boards from VBulletin onto their platform. The board will also have access to a dedicated creative, development, and IT team to give the board a much more professional and functional user experience. No, it is not cheap…
What will be new? Integrated Wiki’s, editorial content and articles, upgraded design, a centralized product database, product reviews by members, faster interface, a dedicated Picture Gallery and improved picture display and handling, easier search features, recommendations on alternative content based on which threads you are looking at, and faster…with no lag.
The system is intuitive and built with people transitioning from vBulletin in mind. There also are tutorials and help areas that greatly surpass vBulletin. If you can use vBulletin, you will be able to use this system.
The list of upgrades is impressive. Everything that exists in our current vBulletin site will be retained. I am excited to finally be able to give you the board that fulfills our collective vision. I also know I upset people with the upgrade to vBulletin 4.0.
What I am proposing is to have a team from the board beta test with us as we develop the new area. It will take weeks to months to get this right and we’re committed to giving you the experience you deserve. But above all, I want your thoughts before we begin this.
Below are some mock-ups of how some areas of the new site might look. I’ve attached mock-ups of the picture gallery and a sample thread.
Thanks for all the insight and feedback that got us to this point. Your constructive feedback on the above course of action would be appreciated.
Scott

meowzer

WOW...Thanks for letting us know you care :)
Apparently you have been reading the threads on the issues, and IMO that says a lot about you. I hope you can get some REAL good ideas too.
The picture issue is a big one for me...well that and lag time in IE....I can't wait to see how this NEW upgrade works out

cranberry

Wow this is great news for those who have had some major problems. But I can't see the pictures. They don't upload big enough. But from what I can see, it looks very appealing in design and colour.
The new features sound awesome! Progress is painful.

flower

I love this site, I too have issues with tiny pictures and the new upload for pictures were really taxing. I may complain but I’m not going anywhere. Like Meowzer said, the fact you guys listen and pay attention speaks allot about you.
LOL…a suggestion on the smileys…I need a cross your fingers and a little prayer icon...

I would also like to say “THANK YOU” in spite of all my complaining, you guys have been great and you do deserve some credit and acknowledgement for the things you have been doing right for so long.

bigarn

I think you should post this up top Scott. By the way, you guys are a rare breed, and I mean that in a good way!

swimmer4uus

And this is why I check this forum first before anything else I do online. Awesome site/forum that, although the business is for profit, provides great educational material.

meowzer

OHHHH..PLEASE SCOTT....can you make it so we can tell what posts we have read.....since this upgrade I have re-read soooo many posts

t316

Scott, I love you man...... (where is that Bud Light commercial when you need it?)
I have been hanging on, albeit with a very fine string, hoping that swf would make this right and get this place back up to speed. This is the best news I have read in awhile.
If I could post a smiley, I would....but my current display does not even show them.........Looking forward to the changeover

rlablan

I want to say thanks also. It is nice to know that you guys get it and that you are willing to admit that there is something not right about this whole thing.
I am very excited about the mock ups. They look amazing. Much more professional and something for SWF.com and it's members to be proud of.
Thanks Scott!!

jackri

Yeah there doesn't seem to be 1/10 the posts as there used to be. I'm glad to see this is going to be addressed as really the only reason I've been checking in with the new format is this is the only one not blocked via work's firewall or whatever they have set up.
I miss the old layout and was glad it didn't change right away with the website. Look forward to the new layout and hopefully it's all the cat's meowzer when its done

spanko

Unfortunate that the upgrade was not what you expected. Aren't some of the other sites using the same version without the problems you have experienced? I look forward to your fix to the problems you have encountered. If I can be of any assistance in beta testing or anything else I would be happy to help.

beaslbob

Thanks.
And I do understand how upgrades can go wrong.
I was wondering if the pictures lost 7 years or so ago will be restored also. Would like to see bang_guy's 900g lagoon pictures again.
But then just being able to find the thread using the search function would be nice also.
best of luck
my .02

florida joe

If I can be of any assistance in beta testing or anything else I would be happy to help.
Henry wipe your nose

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome news! This should put us way ahead of every other fish board out there. Good job, SWF!
I want rolling eyes smiley back, plezzzzzzz :)

aquaknight

vB4 is like the Chevrolet Corvair, too ahead of its time. Perhaps a strive at just too much, a little to soon.
The new board looks great. Setting up the Wikis is going to be awesome!