I took the nem jump!

jay0705

Well after yrs of going fowlr, I finally took a slight jump lol. I purchased 2 rock flower nems. Suppose to be beginner friendly. We shall see lol

pegasus

Well after yrs of going fowlr, I finally took a slight jump lol. I purchased 2 rock flower nems. Suppose to be beginner friendly. We shall see lol
Why the sudden change? LOL!!! A lot of people move into corals. It starts with an easy little coral, and the next thing you know, you have a tank full of stuff. And so it begins...

jay0705

I go to a small lfs. Good quality just not alot of stuff. He got them last wk. So I looked into them. Fairly hardy, not extremely demanding. So I figured why not. I've been hesitant bc I like my fish and such and have heard stories of nems eating them!. So I figured since these are supp to pack less punch and have short tentacles I maybe safer. While feeding last nt I did brush over it and felt nothing nor did it latch on to me lol. Did eat well tho lol

pegasus

Nems can sting, but it's usually going to be something like an ant bite... unless you're allergic to it. I have a giant sea nem (12") that I raised from a pup. I rarely feed it, and it's never eaten a live fish. I make sure any tank casualties end up being nem food, though. I've accidently brushed across it, and it's worse than touching fly tape. It doesn't try to grab me, but any tentacles I touch become glued to me. I have to very carefully pull away from it so I don't tear it's tentacles off. Never felt any stinging sensation, so that's good. I've always heard that the back of the hand and the inside of the forearm are the most vulnerable to nem stings, so I keep those parts away from it... LOL!!! :cool:

jay0705

Ah hmmm very good lol. It surprised me that it didn't try and attach. My fingers just slipped by, but any mysis was snatched rt up lol

ClaptonsGhost

A few weeks ago I bought a white one. No problem. Then a week later I bought a green one. Suddenly my Golden Butterfly decided they were good eatin' and started picking away at both of them. Needless to say they disappeared overnight and I have no idea where, although the white one popped up the other day in a spot where I could see him but the butterfly couldn't reach. I'm guessing the green one survived but if I can't see him I can't feed him.

jay0705

Ah yes butterflies do like nems. Non of my fish bother them. Feeding so far is just frozen I already feed the fish.

ClaptonsGhost

For those of you following my exploits with my LFS you can add that one to the "screwing with me" list. They sold me the butterflies with the assurance they were safe for my tank, and they know what I have in my tank.

jay0705

Ha ha ha most not all but most do leave corals alone but nems are like candy to some. I thought about getting a copper banded, when I had an apatasia issue but I knew I didn't have enough for it to live off of long term.