I will make SWF.com mad at me for this one!

renogaw

its weird, but some companies calculate shipping based on one box of multiple items, and some calculate each item as shipped individually which is a lot more.
example: babys'r'us--i was going to buy 4 nip-ples for some bottles we have, but the shipping came to $30 cause they were charging for shipping each individually. bought em from yahoo for $7 shipping cause that company combines boxes with one freight charge.
that being said, i've bought dry goods from here, and they always would charge shipping based on packaging the products into one box. i'm wondering if they had a glitch charging you for each individual item, unless they are too big to combine

hefner413

I only buy fish on here. Like I mentioned above, many other sites just charge based on amount spent, not weight. On another site, I bought FOUR 5gal buckets of salt mix (160gal) along with a ton of other stuff. Shipping was $17.99 ground.

viper_930

Originally Posted by Fats71
http:///forum/post/2624346
Since you know everything how about I order it and send you the bill for everything over 20 bucks shipping.
I was charged shipping and fuiel charge for each indavidual dry good item Now then how about you not try and correct me on what I was being charged... I get so irritated with someone telling me what i was going to pay or did pay...
I didn't quite understand your first part, but wow no need to get so defensive. I'm sorry as it seems I offended you, but I didn't want to outright accuse you of not telling the truth.

fats71

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
http:///forum/post/2625121
I didn't quite understand your first part, but wow no need to get so defensive. I'm sorry as it seems I offended you, but I didn't want to outright accuse you of not telling the truth.

I was just irritated with the people saying "dont buy from here" and all the other stuff. I am certain SWF.COM would not like people driving their business away. If that is not what was intended then I amm sorry for being crabby...
Long day and was just not in the mood I guess.

I have been part of the saltwaterfish community for years and have had success and have been happy with there products on a scale of 1 to 10 at a 7-8 until recently. I understand all of the frustrations entirely. I live here in Fl. and I to have tried to find the business by using there address listed. NO DICE! I love their products and live stock when AVAILABLE I too have found other venders both here in Florida and other places such as TX. that have better prices on livestock. As far as dry stock I have wished for years that I could use this site as a one stop shop place, but with no luck. I lived all over this ball of mud and used to run a large retail shop in VA Beach, VA. After three years of teaching many people how to and where to I have let that completely. I recommend this site still but more for information then anything else. The forums are great and the people here have the smarts to answer questions even when I get stumped that is not to often. LOL. I have place my name on wish lists here and waited in fact I even forgot that I have placed a wish for some things one took well over a year and then I received an email and said "Oh S*** I forgot all about that" by that time I no longer wanted it. If items are not available I would rather them not even be there. As a business owner myself I understand there side as well. Because if they removed everything that is not available there would not be much there at all. SAD SAD SAD SAD. I am fortunate in that now that I live in Florida on the water I can get my water right from the best "nature" I treat it and add some things always test and hold then use. saves me so much thank god. I know this is long winded but I have to agree with everyone here. I have written and posted here before and have had my posts removed as they were not taken very well by the moderators. If this makes it to the forum and stays I will have to say thank you for allowing us to voice our opinions and hopefully they will do something about it and fix what is broke. Other than that remember folks this hobby is supposed to be stress free and FUN. Happy reefing to all.

sharkbait9

http:///forum/post/2487075
As for the links to outside sources, I think allowing them would be ridiculous from a business standpoint.
Wellllll, not exactly.
On a business stand point, knowing your customers know other places keeps you competitive and honest.
Originally Posted by Saltwaterfish.com
http:///forum/post/2486022
but we do not want to sacrifice quality for quantity. We feel that substandard livestock would be detrimental to our long term relationship with our customers.Scott

Originally Posted by Saltwaterfish.com
http:///forum/post/2486022
That is how we are able to offer lower prices and have great quality livestock.Scott
As stated quality over quantity is the practice and have low prices, then what and where is the threat?
People come back to a store if their motto and business idea is true. If not, then sure do what ever needs to be done to block links and names of other sites and stores.
You could easily have a section where people can post bad reviews of other retailers and etailers.
With the “the opinions expressed are not that of saltwater fish.com but the members of this board and do not reflect the feelings and opinions of saltwater fish.com and its affiliates ”

I doubt any LFS would welcome customers to stroll in and send people to competitor stores. Perhaps some of the nice guys won't kick you out for it, but they certainly frown upon it.
They may frawn apon it but then again it also makes them cpmpeitive. A lot of times employees or even the owners will say no, go check "X" they may have it. It shows go buinsess practice.

http:///forum/post/2487075 />
SWF.com pays for this forum so it's essentially part of their store.
Ok, they pay for it. Thank you SWF.com. I like most would not have found this message board if we were not looking for saltwater fish/coral. So in and of it self it is like advertising also. Why cause when i talk with people i say oh go check out swf.com great message board to talk and learn on and you can buy live stock *astric* *when its available*.
but the goal is to help the hobbyists, not etailers.
Ok, "Wheres a good place to buy salt or "X" oh go check out [edit link]
Or i have been looking for this coral called sunset monti are coral that swf.com would never get go check out [edit link]
What help is that for the hobbyist? A member is here to help and get help, what help is google it. I want to know the place that “X” member got his, I don’t want to fiddle around searching for this rare coral.

Allowing links would also open doors for people to advertise their own online store while maybe hiding the fact that they own it. This isn't the only forum that has a rule against links to etailers, but from what I've seen we probably enforce it the most.
a mod or someone kicked one member off who is not a etailer or retailer but has awesome set ups. He hacks up some coral and sells them to other members. Now you placed a rule if you do not have any other post but selling the thread gets locked and the member booted, so what’s so hard about that?
I go to a couple of wholesalers here on the east cost two up in NY tuxedo to be exact and those and one in Pennsylvania. These wholesalers are huge. Seeing the prices they charge makes me laugh when I walk into a LFS and see the mark up. A 4x5 rock of cherry zoas 25.00 bucks but in the retailer its 150.00. I understand the market price and value
I guess I understand why links are frowned upon but it just makes it more difficult to locate the nice/rare coral.
The major links I see really are for the bidding site and a few others that if your on here for a little while you learn about them anyway
It would be sooooooo nice if i could hope on this site BS for a bit and buy my salt, my filter socks, foods, rock, rare or colorful coral and frags but i can't.
So i have to go other places.

hefner413

Funny. after posting about having my items "wishlisted" for such a long time - they finally became available today... I bought em immediately. They them became unavailable again. and btw - the fee still is 25, instead of 20.

fats71

I will say saltwaterfish.com is on the ball. They are checking into my issue i HAD and asked for my phone number to call me very cool.
I certainly love kim she is very helpful as are others. Nice job swf.com.
While reading the above about posting other links it is easy to pm someone where you boght something or to ask and swf.com does not get onto you about that. I know I do not want to sift thru threads of other retailers when perusing the forums.
I can find it or ask someone else where they got theirs.

sharkbait9

http:///forum/post/2628323
I will say saltwaterfish.com is on the ball. They are checking into my issue i HAD and asked for my phone number to call me very cool.
Never had an issue with the etailer my self so I can’t say anything bad about that.
I certainly love kim she is very helpful as are others. Nice job swf.com.
I do read about kim a lot especially on this thread. Never dealt with her but if I do ever have a problem I will seek her out for assistance.

While reading the above about posting other links it is easy to pm someone where you boght something or to ask and swf.com does not get onto you about that. I know I do not want to sift thru threads of other retailers when perusing the forums. I can find it or ask someone else where they got theirs.
I’m not really saying allow direct links. More of turning a blind eye to the reference “the two doctor” “the austion site” “Atlantis“, “rare zoas” and so on. If you make a mere mention of the names they get

[hr]
And don’t post names to other sites. That’s all really. Since I can’t stand having to google stuff for a frag of a nice looking coral or try and find new and better equipment . Sure PM someone but who’s to say that the mods are not checking pms like stated.
Why not allow someone to say “this etailer did this or that” it’s not the opinion of swf.com, so no harm no foul to SWF.
I still like to know where i can get blueberry hill monti and satans eye acan and sopranos zoas
SWF don't sell it.
Searching for SWF and coral offten leads people to his site even before knowing it has a message board.

fats71

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
http:///forum/post/2628487
Never had an issue with the etailer my self so I can’t say anything bad about that.
I do read about kim a lot especially on this thread. Never dealt with her but if I do ever have a problem I will seek her out for assistance.
I’m not really saying allow direct links. More of turning a blind eye to the reference “the two doctor” “the austion site” “Atlantis“, “rare zoas” and so on. If you make a mere mention of the names they get

[hr]
And don’t post names to other sites. That’s all really. Since I can’t stand having to google stuff for a frag of a nice looking coral or try and find new and better equipment . Sure PM someone but who’s to say that the mods are not checking pms like stated.
Why not allow someone to say “this etailer did this or that” it’s not the opinion of swf.com, so no harm no foul to SWF.
I still like to know where i can get blueberry hill monti and satans eye acan and sopranos zoas
SWF don't sell it.
Searching for SWF and coral offten leads people to his site even before knowing it has a message board.

I agree somewhat on the postinng other sites to find something but at the same time it is their show and they are the ones who can and will make the rules. I think -- Is cool for posting places where to buy things feedback etc and wish we hadd something like that here as well. I mean honestly if SWF did it they would get more hits as their would be keywords popping up like crazy driving up browsers.
Anyway, no one ever called me which kind of turned me off again... I thought it was going really well then wham ball was dropped.

hefner413

I've now have also personally dealt with Kim in customer service. They called me after I placed my order. There was an area of question on my striped dogface's face. They watched it for a few days and did a bunch of research on it. Communication was awesome.
I've been looking on SWF now for about 15 months now. It seems to me that they've changed a ton since I started looking. They are still working on things, but it seems that they've responded to many of the concerns and have corrected them.

sprang

Basically the economy sucks right now! I'm sure s.w.f. would love to sell any and everything if they could profit on thier surplus. Problem is people say stuff like I want a chevron tang, but they actually never buy it? Just blows in the wind. I'm a retail manager and I can only speculate what is going on with thier web site, but I know It's hard to fill specific orders on such a tight budget. even ordering dry goods can be a problem on a limited budget. I know salt for example has an extreamly low profit margin. As shipping costs are skyrocketing people are less likly to buy. I could go on for hours on this, but It's much harder than it seems! We can only carry what can be turned over at a profit. If s.w.f sells only 20% of thier inventory on a mass order they are forced to carry less. Does this make any sence?