I will make SWF.com mad at me for this one!

peef

I love SWF I would have to say that they should take off their min order cap. I would buy all my fish/coral from here if I didn't have to fill up space with stuff I didn't want. I know shipping costs can be expensive but all they have to do is charge us what it costs to ship. If that was done I would be exclusive and would wait for my wishlist fish/coral to come in and buy it right up. I think that would solve almost all of the problem. SWF does get a good amount of livestock in its just a bit here and a bit there. When you boil it down my two cents is....
REMOVE THE MINIMUM ORDER CAP.....PLEASE

B

bonita69

Originally Posted by Kelly
http:///forum/post/2485728
I run an online business that no way competes with this site, and do well enough that I make my living off of it. It is not as easy as you many may think... The cost of stocking enough inventory can be extremely expensive, knowing what to stock is also interesting as things always seem to change very quickly in this business or most other businesses.
Personally I have never ordered from this site, but I have and continue to do so from other sites (mostly hardware and salt). I agree the stock list here leaves a lot to be desired, but that is their business. It is winter time and cold throughout most of the U.S and maybe the reason the stock is down now is due to winter shipping problems in the past, or the expense / availability of the merchandise SWF wishes to carry.
I understand the links to competitive sites being banned, although I doubt it will decrease their business much. The problem with allowing links is that some people will abuse the privilege and use it to promote their own sites or sites for others.
If you are not happy with what SWF offers, you can always go to another site and purchase it there. SWF setup guidelines that they want followed for those that use their forums and that is their right. I totally understand the frustration of those that wish to support SWF, it is a wonderful community, but their business is theirs, let them run it the way they want to. They probably will anyways.
I think by now they probably have seen this post, and know how some of us feel, if they decide to make changes, great, if not, then they can continue to do what they are doing. I am sure they have some sort of business plan, and they need not make it known to us.
I continue to wish them the best of luck at what they are doing and hope they continue to provide these forums for us. It is a great opportunity for those of us within this hobby to share information with each other.
You have good points here Yes I love the site and come here almost daily.I am happy they provide it for us. Yes it is big bucks to stock. What I think they need to do is look deep and see the items they just don't sell a lot of and rid of them. Look at stocking more of the items we use. Books they have little to no mark up value. Set ups are different from tank to tank yes I agree but the basics remain the same LIKE SALT.
And I understand your point to a degree with links. But you can tell if is a vendor or if it is just one of us trying to help a fellow fishy friend out.

metweezer

Originally Posted by Eaglephot
http:///forum/post/2485442
Yeah what happened with that? I don't live in FL, but I would go to the store to look.
Well, I do live in Fl. 15 miles away from their listed address. Guess what? No store. I wanted to go there to see what they have and hopefully avoid shipping charges. SWF.com replied to an email that that is just an address that is used for business purposes. I drove all around there and couldn't find any store.
My 2 cents,
Steve

B

bonita69

Originally Posted by metweezer
http:///forum/post/2485779
Well, I do live in Fl. 15 miles away from their listed address. Guess what? No store. I wanted to go there to see what they have and hopefully avoid shipping charges. SWF.com replied to an email that that is just an address that is used for business purposes. I drove all around there and couldn't find any store.
My 2 cents,
Steve

WOW!

metweezer

Originally Posted by SH2000
http:///forum/post/2485843
I this company Ligit ? Steve the mets stink lol
6000 posts...Johan sanloser
I don't know, I think you might have lost a lot of money betting on the Mets last fall
Wait'll next (this) year

Steve

somebody had a comment about losing cost in fish... yeah right I work at my LFS and I can tell you that even the BEST Distributers that places like "the reef" in indianapolis or even uncle bills uses a good distributer, pay pennies on the dollar for each fish. ***** who uses a HORRIBLE distributer (not naming names) gets their fish for pennies on the dollar, you can buy a full-grown powder brown tang for 26.99 at *****, and they're still banking. They paid 10 dollars for this fish, 9.99.
For instance, we get medium powder blue tangs for 18.99, powder brown for 14.99, diamond goby for 6.99, mandarin goby for 6.99, large sailfins for 15.99, Large beautiful banana wrasse' for 19.99, Full-grown gorgeous volitan lions for 17.99, royal grammas for 3.40, bangai cardinals for 1.99 ( decent sized ), Flame Angels (large) for 14.99, just to name a few, then that flame angel is turned around and sold for 59.99 or better...
There is A LOT of markup in fish, some of it is designed to make up for losses while at the LFS, and make up for fish that dont sell, but SWF.com is not losing ANYTHING I can guarantee you that, especially with their prices the way they are. They charge more than my LFS for fish and they are an ONLINE STORE! We can't even SEE the stock before we buy it. CRAZY!

sh2000

Steve I'm a 23 year old girl with a decent job I don't bet on sports or anything.
only Jai Alai when im i FLA..lol

sh2000

Originally Posted by ChrgerOnDavins
http:///forum/post/2485875
somebody had a comment about losing cost in fish... yeah right I work at my LFS and I can tell you that even the BEST Distributers that places like "the reef" in indianapolis or even uncle bills uses a good distributer, pay pennies on the dollar for each fish. ***** who uses a HORRIBLE distributer (not naming names) gets their fish for pennies on the dollar, you can buy a full-grown powder brown tang for 26.99 at *****, and they're still banking. They paid 10 dollars for this fish, 9.99.
For instance, we get medium powder blue tangs for 18.99, large sailfins for 15.99, Large beautiful banana wrasse' for 19.99, Full-grown gorgeous volitan lions for 17.99, royal grammas for 3.40, bangai cardinals for 1.99 ( decent sized ), Flame Angels (large) for 14.99, just to name a few, then that flame angel is turned around and sold for 59.99 or better...
There is A LOT of markup in fish, some of it is designed to make up for losses while at the LFS, and make up for fish that dont sell, but SWF.com is not losing ANYTHING I can guarantee you that, especially with their prices the way they are. They charge more than my LFS for fish and they are an ONLINE STORE! We can't even SEE the stock before we buy it. CRAZY!
You ever get any of those fish ? and if so how much is the stores cost ? I paid recenty $80 for a 4 inch Purple Tang.

Originally Posted by SH2000
http:///forum/post/2485883
You ever get any of those fish ? and if so how much is the stores cost ? I paid recenty $80 for a 4 inch Purple Tang.
Purples are about 22-24 (for 4" or bigger), chevron about 20-22. This is an estimate, could be a couple dollars either way and depends on availability. Everybody has to make their money, and these suppliers only ship to those with a business license. People always want something for nothing, but for instance my LFS I work for (petland) Mark (owner) pays 12k a month just to be there, something has to make up for this margin, and make it so that you can BUY the fish you're looking at. You know? Anyway yeah my job at petland is great, petland is merged with a HUGE fishery I forget the name but it's HUGE all over the US, and we use their distributer and tank designs.

spiderwoman

The argument of maybe not wanting to be a larger company doesn't fly. If that was the case, then they'd allow links to other competiting sites. If I were running this company and running one of the largest SW message boards, I'd be reading the posts closely and keeping up with the demand for products. They wouldn't even have to stock the heavier items, but have them dropshipped from the manufacturers etc.
Just my $0.02 worth.

cpl40475

I have an idea for SWF. My LFS does this and he only runs a small store but when he started up he knew that one supplier could not meet all his needs. Say I want the black tang that was mentioned. He will request it from one of his suppliers if the 1 doesnt have it he has backups. I have never had to wait over 2 weeks for a certain type fish. I think they need to setup a special requests board and have someone looking/moderating it. I find it funny that SWF does not carry all these fish so there put on a wish list. Call other suppliers/wholesalers. SWF has a reputable name and i dont think any wholesaler will say UMMM sorry we dont know who you are so we cant sell to you. After all there wanting to make money also.
Tracy

Originally Posted by air_putih
http:///forum/post/2485899
or maybe they're just a third party ???? getting all the good stuff from somewhere else ??
THAT is a serious possibility. They could also be using a crappy distributer (to "maximize" profits) and treating all fish as if they have ich and all sorts of diseases, then charging out the *** for all of these animals, claiming "great time and care is provided to ensure the health of these animals" this is what ***** claims to do, but in reality they tell you to come in and buy on wednesday when they ship, they've had no time to treat the fish and I myself have purchased fish from here, even though I work at petland and can get them cheaper, I am impatient, anyway they have ALL had a fungus, or ich, or SOMETHING. Anyway, that business model of "buying sick fish and treating them" has just become "here we offer the best prices"... and they rarely eat in captivity, nobody makes sure they can eat before they go home, no measures are taken, and they are all sick.
Good distrubter= Collects fish, quarantines them for AT LEAST 48 hours, and MORE if there is any noticable fungus or paracites, fin rot, or any issues and nurses them back to health, they should be in perfect health NO LESS than 48 hours, (ours does it longer as does unc bills) Treats all the storage water for preventative, and uses much safer and friendlier gathering techniques.
Bad distributer= Collects fish in terrible ways, often stressing them to the point of death, doesn't treat the water at all, assumes all are healthy, rarely cleans tank, and ships fish after 24 hour "acclimation" period. They do this to save as much money as possible, this is a "money only" business model, they want to save every penny then sell the fish for cheaper. This is not only inhumane, but with live animals not very profitable, usually new distributers try this technique. They soon learn that MOST people would rather buy one fish for 15.00 that is healthy and only have to buy ONE than buy 2 or 3 at 10.00 that are less healthy.

ccampbell57

One thing that you are fogetting about is the shipping costs of these large shipments. They can be in the thousands. That is where a lot of the markup comes from, plus the LFS has to account for 5-10% of the livestock to be DOA or shortly after.

B

bonita69

Originally Posted by cpl40475
http:///forum/post/2485910
I have an idea for SWF. My LFS does this and he only runs a small store but when he started up he knew that one supplier could not meet all his needs. Say I want the black tang that was mentioned. He will request it from one of his suppliers if the 1 doesnt have it he has backups. I have never had to wait over 2 weeks for a certain type fish. I think they need to setup a special requests board and have someone looking/moderating it. I find it funny that SWF does not carry all these fish so there put on a wish list. Call other suppliers/wholesalers. SWF has a reputable name and i dont think any wholesaler will say UMMM sorry we dont know who you are so we cant sell to you. After all there wanting to make money also.
Tracy
That is a great idea a wish list board for product we wish to see stocked!!

bird dog

Look at the time listed on this site and the time on your computer and guess what part of the world has their time.

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by Bird Dog
http:///forum/post/2485971
Look at the time listed on this site and the time on your computer and guess what part of the world has their time.

Mine is the same (ET). You set your time zone in the User CP and the site adjusts accordingly. What is the time you are seeing and what is the time zone setting in your settings?