i would just like to know you alls opinion..

ginarox

i just wanted to know what you all think about this concept,,,if you have a blue hippo tang that caught ich, and you did nothing but to make sure he continued to eat. do you think its possible that he survived, and didnt get any other fish ich,,,,i would like to know your thought on that....thanks have a great night....

scsinet

I'm not sure what you are asking, but let me take a crack at it.
You are asking if you have a Hippo Tang with ich, and your "treatment" is nothing, will he recover from it...?
Well... theoretically he can recover. Ich is usually caused by an environmental condition that causes stress to the fish. This can be moving, temperature swings, water parameters, salinity, pH, aggression from tankmates, etc.
If you right the condition that causes the ich, then the attached parasites will fall off and he may be able to fight off new ones. If you don't, things will get worse and worse until the fish dies.

ginarox

Originally Posted by SCSInet
I'm not sure what you are asking, but let me take a crack at it.
You are asking if you have a Hippo Tang with ich, and your "treatment" is nothing, will he recover from it...?
Well... theoretically he can recover. Ich is usually caused by an environmental condition that causes stress to the fish. This can be moving, temperature swings, water parameters, salinity, pH, aggression from tankmates, etc.
If you right the condition that causes the ich, then the attached parasites will fall off and he may be able to fight off new ones. If you don't, things will get worse and worse until the fish dies.
thankyou scsinet,,,, that is what i was asking,,just didnt know how to phrase it,, thankyou i just learned something new again ,,,,love it,,, thankyou again....have a great night.

ginarox

oh my fish doesnt have ich,,,i was just wonder what everyones opinion is if your hippo tang had it,,but you didnt treat it,,what is your thought on that...thanks have a great night.

ginarox

will i havent gotten much responses on it,,,and what you have said,,,has cleared it up to a tee,,,,which i do truely appreciate. i have read so much on this message board when someone gets ich,,,everyones is like take your lr down,put him in a qt tank,,,everyone just gets so dramatic,,,i havent seen or read where someone says ok, lets try it this way first,,like you said up there ,,, have you had any tempature swings,water parameters,ph, etc..etc..change,,if so lets go ahead and just keep an eye on the fish to make sure that he is still eating ,,and he if he is not then its time to go to the next step, and do a qt on him,,and possibly the others too.....now its possible that i have missed someone talking like this,,cause i dont read all the threads,,,i just wanted everyones thought on this account...i have a hippo tang, and he got ich,,,and from reading on this site,,i freaked out, due to that fact that i just started my aquarium back in july so i am really new at this,,so i called the guy that takes care of my aquarium i told him that my tang has ich we need to do something quickly cause i am going to loose everything,,,the first thing he asked me if there has been any tempature swings on the tank,,,i told him that my tempature said 84 and he told me that is probably the reason,,,he said just keep an eye on him make sure he is still eating,,,if not then he would come over and bring me a qt tank to get this under control....ok,,,i will stop at that,,,, i am just trying to learn and get everyones input ,, on this,,,thanks ,,,have a great day.....be nice....

lion_crazz

The best way to prevent ich from running wild in your display tank is to quarantine new introductions. Nothing will prevent ich like this. No "miracle" bottle in the LFS will do half as much as a simple quarantine and examination period.
Then, if something does get by you, which is not likely if you keep a close eye on the new fish, then hypo will always be the best way to treat the fish. You run a very high chance of having the fish die if you do not treat the ich. Many times, a fish is able to fight it off themselves, but this is not bullet-proof. Done properly, hyposalinity is pretty much bullet-proof. Ich cannot reproduce in low salinities. There is no way around it. You can try "miracle" bottles, UV sterilizers, turning the temperature up, garlic, etc. etc., but nothing will do the job like hyposalinity will. Many of those things I mentioned will HELP, but will not HEAL.

my way

Not doing anything to treat a sick fish is totally irresponsible if you ask me. Fish are not a commodity, they are living creatures. If your children got sick with something that could kill them would you not seek treatment for them?

ginarox

Originally Posted by My Way
Not doing anything to treat a sick fish is totally irresponsible if you ask me. Fish are not a commodity, they are living creatures. If your children got sick with something that could kill them would you not seek treatment for them?
i have two children,,there 17 and 15,,and yes if they are sick i would seek treatment,,,but this is my first salt water aquarium,,,and i am learning...i have been reading,,and getting everyones ideals,,,i believe,,what works for someone may not work for you,,,,i care for my fish, and want the best treatment for them ,,,but i dont compare my kids to any kind of fish or animal, which i care for my animals , but they do not compare to my kids,,i can replace a fish,dog ...etc...but my children are my everything..they are a gift from my GOd..i respect everyones input,,but please dont bring children into this,,i will get very offensive...dont get me wrong i care for animals very much...i am sure you get my point....thanks have a great day....

clekchau

lol maybe a bad analogy but his point is, you should treat your fish rather than leave them be and hope for the best.