Ich again while under HYPO

cjqsmom

Still under hypo and now my hippo and small purple tang have ich back.
I did a fresh water dip on the small purple tang last night since I noticed he had ich again. Didnt get it all off but seen some of the ich fall off. Didnt want to lose hime he was in fresh water for 4 minutes.
When I woke up today the hippo tang was covered again with the big ich spots.
Nothing has changed in the tank it has been 2 weeks since all signs of ich disappeared and now its back what do I do?
Even my naso tangs eye healed and no one has cloudy eyes anymore.
Salinty is still at 1.09
What should I do now?

kube

if you are using one of those swing arm ones, when my fish got ick i used one of them to lower the salintiy to what it said was 1.009 BUT i order a refractometer the same night, and my fish still had signs of ick come back again, but when the refractometer got here a week after, the salintiy was actually 1.015 no where near where it had to be so i basicaly wasted a week and started all over and never had any signs of ick since, coming on 5 weeks now with out seeing a spot

moostache

Ever use Copper? In my honest opinon its alot less trouble. You usually see improvments in about 3 days.

cjqsmom

Sorry to reply so late feel asleep.
I am using a refractometer like I stated last week. We even bought a second one to double check. It looks the same as in the previous pictures. LARGER then a grain of salt on my Hippo but now my foxface looks like he has something under his skin so to speak. I tired to post this under my preivous posting so you could have the pictures where the hippo looked 2 weeks agao and that is what he looks like again. The small purple tang is biting this stuff off of my hippo.

sepulatian

That is a current picture?? Have you been on top of checking the SG every single day? That is rough looking. I was expecting to see a few spots. Something didn't go right with hyposalinity. I have seen fish get a spot or two after a few weeks, but not like that...ever. It takes a week to bring the SG back up. You cannot rush it or you will risk the life of your fish. Copper is the next step. Cupramine with a Salifert test kit. Pick those up. While you are out, pick up some Methylene blue, it costs about $3. Dip this fish. Use the water that he is currently in. Put it into a bucket then add him. He can sit in that for well over an hour.

cjqsmom

No this is not a current picture but that is how it looks right now. I check the SG at least 3 times a day. In the morning before I feed them. Mid afternoon then before I go to bed. It is very rough looking almost to the point that I could grab a pair of tweezers and pluck it off. Like I said before my small purple tang is "biting" it off him. What can go wrong with hyposalinity? I dropped the salinity and have kept it dropped currentally its at 1.09 and has been that way for 2 weeks now. When I do water changes I lower the amount of saltwater in a bucket to 1.09 then add that to the tank so the levels cant rise.
Are you saying I should raise the salinty then do coppper? I dont want to do copper in the display. My qt is not large enough to put my fish in it to do copper. plus the qt is currentally in use with a maited pair of cinnamon clowns that are going to the reef tank.
Since my orginal post today I have noticed that my foxface is getting it too but it does not look like it does on the hippo. Kind of like it is under his skin so to speak. You say to use the methylene blue is that to be done with the 1.09 salinty?
My hippo is laying down alot more then normal. I hope he makes it through the night.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by cjqsmom
http:///forum/post/2814016
No this is not a current picture but that is how it looks right now. I check the SG at least 3 times a day. In the morning before I feed them. Mid afternoon then before I go to bed. It is very rough looking almost to the point that I could grab a pair of tweezers and pluck it off. Like I said before my small purple tang is "biting" it off him. What can go wrong with hyposalinity?
A lot can go wrong with hyposalinity if the instrument used to check SG is not correct. I assume that you checked the accuracy of your refractometer right? You calibrated it when you got it?
I dropped the salinity and have kept it dropped currentally its at [[1.09 and has been that way for 2 weeks now. When I do water changes I lower the amount of saltwater in a bucket to 1.09 then add that to the tank so the levels cant rise.
I am sure you meant 1.009. How long do you mix the water at 1.009 before doing a change?
Are you saying I should raise the salinty then do coppper? I dont want to do copper in the display. My qt is not large enough to put my fish in it to do copper. plus the qt is currentally in use with a maited pair of cinnamon clowns that are going to the reef tank.
No copper in the display. I am sorry, I was thinking that this was a QT hypo. My mistake.
Since my orginal post today I have noticed that my foxface is getting it too but it does not look like it does on the hippo. Kind of like it is under his skin so to speak. You say to use the methylene blue is that to be done with the 1.09 salinty?
My hippo is laying down alot more then normal. I hope he makes it through the night.
Methylene is soothing. Only use it in a bucket though, not in the display or in a QT. It kills bacteria, including biological. It also helps to detach parasites. I have used it many times both as a preventative and as a dip.

R

rcreations

I'm sorry... I did a lot of research on hypo and it doesn't work in every case. There are a lot of strains of ich that are very resistent. If your fish has that much ich after being in hypo this long and you did everything right, I would transfer them to a cycled QT and run copper. There's no other way.
Of course, first you'd have to slowly raise the SG in the tank. Unfortunately, with that much ich, not sure how long the fish can survive.

cjqsmom

The salt is always mixing. We have a rodi set up in the backyard with 60 gallons of rodi fresh at all times. We have a 30 gal mix of saltwater for my tank and a 30 mix for the reef tank. When we do water changes the used saltwater gets replaced almost all and then is made again with a pump constantally running.
The ick went away completely so I am sure my hippo can get through it again. I just need to find a store that carrys the methelyneblue. My lfs does not.
Yes checked the refractometer when we got it and check it once a month.
I took some pics today

gsellers

if you do chose to do a copper treatment do not do it under hyposalinity conditions...copper becomes toxic and will kill the fish

cjqsmom

Yes I understand that copper is toxic and to only do it under normal SG. I have coppersafe but others have said to use a differnt kind of copper is there a difference?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The best copper (and safest) to use is Cupramine. You will need a compatible copper test kit, such as the one made by Seachem.

R

rcreations

I read that cupramine gives you the biggest room for error. So that's the one I would use.

cjqsmom

Is copper the only option as I am doing hypo in the display with only sand in it?
My fish are too big to put in my ht/qt all at the same time.
If I do the copper in the display then what will I not be able to keep in there in the future?

cjqsmom

Sep,
I finally found some Methylene blue today can you give me exact instructions on how to use it. Also do I do one fish at a time or all at once?
Should I just wait it out longer and see if the ich will go away or should I treat with copper? I do not want to treat with copper if there is an alternative.