Ich.

jay0705

Ok folks looking for ideas. 56 column tank. Currently used as my qt. Over a yr ago a place a coral beauty in it. 2 days later i see it had ich. Removed it placed it in qt . It was not my qt at that time. Also in my qt was my naso. So i had my naso and angle in qt. Treated for ich. After a month w no signs placed both in my dt. No issues in dt.
Fast fwd to last month. My 56 not really suited for a true sw tank housed only my black clown. This clown was in the tank with the angel when i removed the angel. Never showed signs of ich. Ever!. I placed a sail fin and fox in 56 qt. No issues, week later added a wrasse and hippo to tank. 3 days later ich like a mother!!!!!! I watched hippo for a week at store before i bought it. Was the ich in my tank the whole time? Came in with hippo? Thoughts? All fish now are ich free btw. I should ad neither time the clown showed signs

Last edited:

one-fish

So Jay your thinking ich was in your 56 all that time the clown was.....was that over the 30 day ich life cycle stage.... do remember coversations here about hippo ich magnets ....wish i could help but. No experience to give just go back to the basics and Iam sure you will figure it out...Good Luck my friend.......

jay0705

Buddy lol i tell you. Ich is done after 6 weeks w no host. So lets say it was living off the clown. For over a yr!?!? With no signs of it on the clown. Then the sailfin and fox where all good. It wasn't until i added the wrasse and hippo it showed its ugly face. Now i know ich doesn't just happen. Ich magnet or not. So it was either in my tank all that time or it came in on fish i had watched for a week before buying.
This is why you qt tho

lmforbis

Might have been a combo. I'd guess you had ich in the 56 all along if you never did a fallow period. You wouldn't have seen a light infection in the gills. Fish can be resistant but not usually hippo tangs. The hippo may have also brought some in. You did treat the 56 with copper though right?

jay0705

Yup.started water changes last week. Waiting to see if it returns. If it was in there why no signs on sail or fox? Not enough time maybe?

lmforbis

As long as your QT period is, I doubt it. If you ran copper at the right dose for the right amount of time. It probably came on the hippo. Sometimes stores run low dose copper or lower salinity that masks disease.

jay0705

I would bet the hippo tank had no copper. It was 6 small hippos, twin spot, and brittle stars

beaslbob

sorry I can't help.

Rumors I hear is that sometimes ICH just goes away on its own or was mis diagnosed to begin with.

Byt that just me and my .02

jay0705

Its ok bob. Its taken care of, its just something that puzzled me. I avoided tangs like the plague when i started in this hobby bc of all the ich talk. Now there one of my fav fish. I just don't buy into the ich magnet moniker. I believe they get it easily yes. In my case iam just mad at how i missed it.

beaslbob

I had ich problems with my old 55g cycling and tangs. Until I added macro algae and the tangs eat it. Then it was all better and better.

florida joe

First we have to understand that ick can get introduced into our tanks without being on our fish. You have an eye on a certain fish at your LFS for weeks no sign of ick. You buy the fish and bring it home now uncles you completely dried the fish and you do not introduce the smallest amount of water you transferred from the LFS it is possible that you introduced ick in its free swing stage into your tank

2quills

Probably had some come in the the sail fin and fox face as well as the hippo and wrasse.

In order for the hippo to be covered within 3 days must mean that there were some freshly hatched free swimmers already in there and you see them on the hippo cause they are the easiest target.

I doubt the fish store was doing copper treatment on the hippos especially when they're small. The majority will never make it through treatment after the stress from collecting and shipping that they've already been through. They're such fragile fish.

one-fish

Taking notes so a newbe like myself can take the proper steps when selecting my fish. Plan on buying from a LFS that I have been going to who seems to care about his customers, talking with them I feel pretty confident buying my next fishes. Obersavation is a tool that I can easily do. Hope to build a better realantionship with them in the future. Jay hope all works out I know you went thru all the procedures and still had issues but as you Sh@# happens...

jay0705

Probably had some come in the the sail fin and fox face as well as the hippo and wrasse.

In order for the hippo to be covered within 3 days must mean that there were some freshly hatched free swimmers already in there and you see them on the hippo cause they are the easiest target.

I doubt the fish store was doing copper treatment on the hippos especially when they're small. The majority will never make it through treatment after the stress from collecting and shipping that they've already been through. They're such fragile fish.
They where tank raised quills. I get where your coming from. Just seems like the sail and fox would have showed signs. Bc after the hippo it was visible on them.

2quills

They where tank raised quills. I get where your coming from. Just seems like the sail and fox would have showed signs. Bc after the hippo it was visible on them.
I think I have ich in my tank now. Last summer I introduced a couple of fish then my yellow tang broke out with it for a few days then seemed to disappear and I haven't seen it since.

Just saying that fish can be carrying it and you may never be able to tell. Anyone of them can have it but the hippo in my mind almost certainly would have came in with some. Magnet or not they earned their reputation for a reason.

I've become pretty good friends with the owners at my LFS and I know the other store in town pretty well. Cross tank contamination can happen so easy I don't see how fish stores can avoid it unless they treat.

P.S. what does tank raised mean?

one-fish

So my take away on all this is Qt is a must no matter what but at what time duration with no visible signs or even if that matters. Seeing here the time in QTshould be the life cycle of the parasite = 6 weeks. But chances of what Joe described are very low but possible. Not trying to join the debate just curious and following the outcome for my knowledge. ..

lmforbis

I do 30 days. During that time I also treat for worms and go through tank transfers for 2 weeks. Those of us that QT each have a slightly different method. The end goal is the same a healthy fish who eats well going into the tank.

jay0705

So my take away on all this is Qt is a must no matter what but at what time duration with no visible signs or even if that matters. Seeing here the time in QTshould be the life cycle of the parasite = 6 weeks. But chances of what Joe described are very low but possible. Not trying to join the debate just curious and following the outcome for my knowledge. ..
Your .02 are welcome in the debate lol

jay0705

I do 30 days. During that time I also treat for worms and go through tank transfers for 2 weeks. Those of us that QT each have a slightly different method. The end goal is the same a healthy fish who eats well going into the tank.
Agreed. I will say I've never had an issue with my fish eating tho. Definitely have seen fish with preferred foods. I just feed a variety and usually there is something they all like