Ich.

florida joe

Getting back to LFS most good stores also sell coral and inverts. The better stores do not have interconnecting tanks for fish and inverts. Their reputation is predicated on NOT selling you a fish with ick. To this end they run copper. Ask your sales person if they run copper and how long they have had the fish. I am not saying you should not QT a fish BUT if you don’t QT it may improve your odds of not introducing ick into your tank

jay0705

Totally agree. The tough part is when u have inverts mixed with fish. You know there not running copper. I hate when they put fish in there live rock tanks. I get why but if that fish has anything now its on the rock

2quills

My LFS recently redid all of their tanks so every single tank is a isolated system now. They used to have sets of acrylic tanks tied together so if they found disease they'd have to shut down like 10 at a time to treat. No more mixing inverts with fish etc.

jay0705

I get they don't pay retail but its still alot of money if something gets in on connected tanks and wipes them all out

2quills

Oh definitely. A store can have the best set up in the world but it's only as strong as its weakest employee. Fish nets, hands in water, scrubbers and scrapers or water change equipment all have the potential to cross contaminate.

Ever see a busy fish store employee? Nets and hands all over the place lol.

jay0705

Lol oh yea. I remember as a kid they dipped nets in some kind of solution. I don't notice that anymore