Idiots guide to reefing.

jay0705

Ok folks iam really considering dipping my toe in corals. What are my easiest and most forgiving options? My next question will involve equipment to keep them so feel free to add that in lol

florida joe

The easiest most forgiving option is NOT to get into corals. but seriously look into lighting as once the coal bug bites you will IMO step up your wants

jay0705

Ha ha ha joe I've stayed away from it for about 5 yrs now. I recently did upgrade my lights to marine orbit leds. Iam to the point i have less issue with my sw then my fw tanks. I always tell people sw isnt that hard. Well fowlr isnt hard. This reef keeping is a totally different animal. But i see tanks like snakes 5 gal its just a really nice looking tank.

florida joe

Your lights are fine for your initial step into soft corals. just do your research on beginner corals and comparability and go for it. you will find IMO corals are easier to keep then fish

snakeblitz33

You can always read my guides I wrote. ;)

Are you setting up a new tank or are you prepping your old one for corals?

If you are prepping your old tank for corals, you will have to get the water pristine.

jay0705

Glad u chimed in. In your post you mentioned caroline alage. I have it in all my tanks like a mother lol is that pristine water?

snakeblitz33

Depends on the species of coralline and how long it has adapted to the tank, I believe. Gotta test your nitrate and phosphate levels and see where your calcium and alkalinity is.

Get some soft corals to start. Leathers, zoanthid's, mushrooms, xenia, and others.

jay0705

Lol took a peek at a close place. Didn't have too much. I want to get out to a few of the bigger places. Not that i totally know what iam looking at lol.