I'm making Stew!!

keri

No, really, this is a big thing for me lol... My mom gave me a crock pot for my birthday 2 years ago and i've never taken it out of the box - I'm just not a cooker!! But, I'm trying to learn....Basically I just threw a bunch of vegetables into the pot with some vegetable broth and carmelized onions and set it on high for 4 hours...It doesn't look good so far, I hope it gets better! (no meat on purpose)
Maybe it's something in the air but I'm suddenly feeling domestice. (Or maybe it's because the snow is keeping me in!!)

dragonzim

4 hours on high for just vegetables might be a little overkill. What kind of veggies are we talking about here?

keri

potatoes, carrots, peas, acorn squash, celery & onions (that I browned before putting in)
I coated the potatoes in flour before I put them in because I was talking to a friend of mine and she puts flour on the meat before she puts it in, but I don't eat meat so I floured the potatoes lol... Covered it all in veggie broth and added salt and pepper.
I added a little bit of worches...worchest...wor....LEA AND PERRINS Sauce (3/4tbsp)
I put the carrots in first

lovethesea

so do you eat meat ?...........if so I have some KILLER easy crock pot recipes that have meat. Let me know and I can post them.

lovethesea

I love my crock pot!! Great friend for a busy family that wants healthy dinners at home. I have several really good recipes (meat though) that are soooo good and my kids love them.

I don't want to bore anyone, so if anybody wants a few of them I can post them.

keri

hey - people always like recipes! I don't mind the meat ones, I can often just take the meat out and make it veggie

cranberry

Buy steamer bags instead if you are doing veggie things. I throw veggies in there with spices or canned tomatoes. Yummy. Less time, mess and electricity.

keri

I just tasted it...
it sucks
so I added more salt...now it sucks and it's too salty :(

lovethesea

oooooooohhhhhh.....Christmas at a grandmas house!!! Split pea

We always let my cousin take watch of the adults in the dining room. We would 1 by 1 run to the sink and DUMP our bowls of soup. Then grandma would come in much later to the kitchen and give all the cousin MORE soup.
What the heck????

mimzy

crockpots usually come with little recipe books... it IS only a matter of throwing some stuff in there... but it's gotta be the right stuff! there are bajillions of crockpot recipes all over the internet.... I highly suggest googling some stew recipes. easy peasy.

keri

*sigh*
Drew ate it but all I could do was sop up the liquid part with buns and a LOT of butter....so boring.

coral keeper

There is no such thing as a stew without meat!! So, if you don't add meat to the stew, it aint stew anymore! Its....Its.... I have no idea, but it aint stew! :p

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2876730
There is no such thing as a stew without meat!! So, if you don't add meat to the stew, it aint stew anymore! Its....Its.... I have no idea, but it aint stew! :p
+1... now if you added your veggie friends to the croc pot, it'd be soilent green hahaha. Always wondered what vegetarians tasted like in a stew...

jennythebugg

they have a cookbook just for slowcooking it has some great stuff and alot of the times if you put too much salt in something throw some (or more ) potatoes in it they soak up salt in food
try making a roast in it next- it's sooooo easy and you won't regret it
brown the outsides of a rump roast ( cut in fist sized chunks) in a pan with a tiny bit of oil ,salt and pepper throw it in a crock pot with like a half cup of water and a whole cut up onion on top of some cut up carrots and potatoes, and remember that when using a crock pot every time you lift the lid (peek) you lose heat which takes more time for the crock pot to make up causing your food to take longer cooking so only look when you are adding something the other times check it out through the lid. it is going to take like 6 hours or so , this is the perfect thing to throw in the crock at breakfast or sometime before lunch and it will be ready for dinner