information on spiny oysters..

ginarox

yes i have ordered me a spiny oyster... i have been trying to find information on them...like were is the best place to place your oyster in your aquarium... if any one has any information on these guys i sure would appreciate it. he is kinda of cool looking.... thanks a bunch...have a great day....

dut

The way I understand it is you can put him pretty much anywhere, though they prefer places of low light and prob a decent water current as they are filter feeders. You will want to feed something like DT's so that it will feed.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by ginarox
yes i have ordered me a spiny oyster... i have been trying to find information on them...like were is the best place to place your oyster in your aquarium... if any one has any information on these guys i sure would appreciate it. he is kinda of cool looking.... thanks a bunch...have a great day....

Let me know about the feeding habits and he hes doing after a while, but i want to know how hardy he is first,
Thanx

ginarox

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Let me know about the feeding habits and he hes doing after a while, but i want to know how hardy he is first,
Thanx
i sure will....i got him friday..he seems to be doing ok,,but my star fish likes to hang on him for some reason....i will keep you posted....have a great day...

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by ginarox
i sure will....i got him friday..he seems to be doing ok,,but my star fish likes to hang on him for some reason....i will keep you posted....have a great day...
You know what? I thought i read somewhere that SF eat Clams and Oysters so check on that as well,,, They make a hole in the shell and suck out the insides... CHECK THIS OUT ASAP!!

renogaw

star fish will generally put their arms on both sides of a clam/oyster/muscle shell, pull it apart, and stick their stomache into the shell and eat them from the inside out. of course, it depends on the starfish if it will be powerful enough to open the shell, but in the wild that's their normal food--and a good reason there's a lot of empty shells on beaches.