Initial saltwater mix

Dan808z

Can I do my initial mix in my tank? Figured I would start the RODI getting water in there and then mix some salt in 5 gallon bucket, poor in to right measurement and run circulation? Waiting on my circulation pump but can't I run Fluval FX-6 without any media etc. to circulate?

jay0705

Before any live stock or lr is added yes you can mix rt in the tank. The fx would help yes. The more circulation the faster it will dissolve tho

lmforbis

Depending on the RO system you have it will take a long time to make enough water. Mine is a 75 gpd unit and I was making water for a week before I filled the tank for the first time. My RO system is plumbed into my fridge for drinking g water so I only ran it at night. It took forever.

Be sure to leave space for the volume your rock and sand will use.

2quills

If it's dry (dead) sand and rock you can mix it in the tank after you fill it. If it's live sand and rock you'll want to have it all premixed ahead of time.

lmforbis

Good point.
When I filled my tank I added mixed water then rock, not all just the base. Then the sand. It was a cloudy mess for a day or so but cleared.