Initial stocking of 75 gallon FOWLR tank

Paul Lauricella

I am in the beginning stages of setting up my 75 gallon tank and hoping for advice on fish stocking.
I know that adding fish should be done over a period of time. I was thinking maybe one medium sized fish such as a Butterfly or Dwarf Angel and maybe a couple of bottom dwellers such as a Lawnmower Blenny, a Goby and or Jawfish. Or instead of the one bigger fish a small group of Pajama Cardinals.
Any thoughts or suggestions are warmly welcomed.

jay0705

Slow is the key. Angels are best in an established tank so best left towards the end. Do you want any clowns?

Paul Lauricella

Thanks for your input on the angels.
I was thinking about clowns but I wanted to wait until tank is mature enough for a bubble tip anemone, but is that not necessarily the case?

jay0705

Clowns don't need a nem. Mature tank for a nem yes. Clowns are a hardy fish and usually one of my first additions. Add a pair together. Ideally young tank raised clowns are best to start

Jesterrace

Most clowns these days are captive bred and wouldn't have a clue with what to do with a nem. My recommendation is to just get the clowns and not worry about it. They will be fine and happy in blissful ignorance.

wen tom

I am in the beginning stages of setting up my 75 gallon tank and hoping for advice on fish stocking.
I know that adding fish should be done over a period of time. I was thinking maybe one medium sized fish such as a Butterfly or Dwarf Angel and maybe a couple of bottom dwellers such as a Lawnmower Blenny, a Goby and or Jawfish. Or instead of the one bigger fish a small group of Pajama Cardinals.
Any thoughts or suggestions are warmly welcomed.
I highly suggest against the lawnmower blenny. They have such a hard time. Mine is dying and I have a very established 150 gal. The consensus seems to be it's a fish best left in the ocean.

Paul Lauricella

I did skip the Lawnmower Blenny. My stock now consists of a Pygmy WhiteSpotted Filefish, 5 Firefish, a Solon Wrasse, a Exquisite Fairy Wrasse, a yellow striped prawn goby and his pistol shrimp buddy and 3 Barnacle Blennys.

Maybe a couple of small fish to go.

wen tom

Sounds good! Let me know how you do with your pistol shrimp. My husband brought me home a big one and I suspected it of eating a couple tank mates!