invasive algaes: be aware

reefkprz

Please be aware that dumping ceartain algaes outside can lead to environmental issues such as caulerpa taxfolia invading the california coastline. public sewer drains are not the proper place to dispose of water as many can and do lead to local rivers and oceans, potentially leading to local ecosystem damage. please be sure that you are not contributing to the spread of plants and animals outside their natural ranges.
if I dump outside (there is no way I am sending all that sand and rock rubble down my drain) I make sure I kill the bucket with a strong dose of Bleach (aka 1/2 cup for 5 gallons) previous to dumping it outside. this is not feasable for every one and you must figure out how to dispose of the waste properly in your situation. I have a dead zone under my porch that grown nothing but an occasional weed so i am not going to kill my lawn dumping high strenght bleach water there.

deltablack22

At first I was stoked thinking someone else had a macro algae overgrow their tanks and stunt some coral growth - I was really looking forward to some mutual griping.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
http:///forum/post/2605841
At first I was stoked thinking someone else had a macro algae overgrow their tanks and stunt some coral growth - I was really looking forward to some mutual griping.

I think that would go under the NO NO NO section

stdreb27

down here they have problems with hydrilla overrunning reservoirs. Then they toss some chinese carp to eat the hydrilla, then they eat everything and turn it into a mud puddle then it is open carp season. then the hydrilla comes back. It is pretty funny except bass fishing goes downhill.